No announcement yet.

Coreboot 4.12 Released - Drops Older Intel / AMD Platforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I completely agree with you on security aspect. This is just on a desktop that I use for experimenting/testing; not a production server or laptop that has valuable data on it.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

I looked at it last year and wasn't happy with the available distros or the available graphics card drivers at the time. Can you tell us which distro you are using and which graphic card? Thanks!
      Just saw this now. So I actually use a couple of these machines -- my daily driver is some RX5xx series card (I think it's a 580, lspci isn't too helpful), and the other one that's mainly used for video editing work is a Navi GPU on a large 4k display. I tend to use Debian (old habits) but Fedora is very nice on these machines too. Of course, there's the usual distros too -- Ubuntu, CentOS, RHEL, Gentoo, Void, and some lesser known ones like Adelie Linux. Overall distro support is really good IMO, definitely the best out of any open ISA...

Comment

Originally posted by madscientist159 View Post

Just saw this now. So I actually use a couple of these machines -- my daily driver is some RX5xx series card (I think it's a 580, lspci isn't too helpful), and the other one that's mainly used for video editing work is a Navi GPU on a large 4k display. I tend to use Debian (old habits) but Fedora is very nice on these machines too. Of course, there's the usual distros too -- Ubuntu, CentOS, RHEL, Gentoo, Void, and some lesser known ones like Adelie Linux. Overall distro support is really good IMO, definitely the best out of any open ISA...
        Very good info, thank you for this. I did not know so many distros were working well with the Raptor systems, and it is good to hear that some AMD cards are working. Appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by madscientist159 View Post

By the way I didn't see any RX 590 in the wiki, have you done any testing with it? Googling it didn't help.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post

By the way I didn't see any RX 590 in the wiki, have you done any testing with it? Googling it didn't help.
            While I haven't tried it personally, it's apparently based on the same Polaris core that we ship en masse with the WX<n>100 cards, and that the RX580 uses. I'd expect it to just work -- the only issues I've seen with AMD GPUs at this point center around some questionable code quality in relation to Navi and incorrect use of floating point in the kernel driver. Even that though is being fixed in (IIRC) Linux 5.6/5.7.

Comment

Working...
            X