No announcement yet.

The Current State of AMD Zen Coreboot Support: Basically Limited To Chromebooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Current State of AMD Zen Coreboot Support: Basically Limited To Chromebooks

Phoronix: The Current State of AMD Zen Coreboot Support: Basically Limited To Chromebooks

Firmware developer Michał Żygowski of embedded consulting firm 3mdeb has provided a convenient overview over the current state of AMD Coreboot support for booting with this open-source alternative to conventional proprietary BIOS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, you have to start somewhere, I guess. Seems fine to me.

Comment

Thanks for the FOSDEM coverage, Michael. Any progress report about Coreboot on Zen/+/2 is better than none.
      I hope AMD will ramp up efforts on the libre side of things. Besides, it'd be a real seller to have (libre) Coreboot support on the Zens.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
        Besides, it'd be a real seller to have (libre) Coreboot support on the Zens.
        It'd be a real seller to have even blob-based Coreboot support (i.e. like Intel, but with better/more free documentation). The ability to replace the vendor-provided UEFI garbage unsafe crap with something sane is already invaluable, even if the lower-level board init is still done by a blob.

Comment

Considering most Coreboot devices are ancient and/or not worth buying at all, I'd say this is actually really good news for anyone who cares about it. I'm sure this could be treated as the foundation to porting Coreboot to other Zen platforms.

Comment

I’d like to see other laptop manufactures get on board! The simple reality is that BIOS support from manufactures, on laptops, has been pretty pathetic. Coreboot leaves open the possibility of “BIOS” getting fixed. These days it is hard to pay good dollars for a laptop and then struggle with poor software abmnd hardware. AMD should be work to expand CoreBoot usage!

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              It'd be a real seller to have even blob-based Coreboot support (i.e. like Intel, but with better/more free documentation). The ability to replace the vendor-provided UEFI garbage unsafe crap with something sane is already invaluable, even if the lower-level board init is still done by a blob.
              I'm mostly happy with my MSI UEFI other than the fact that it's no longer updated and it takes a long time to boot.
              ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
                I'm mostly happy with my MSI UEFI other than the fact that it's no longer updated and it takes a long time to boot.
                ​​​​
                Does not make it any less garbage unsafe crap. Especially when you admit it yourself that it has issues.
                My Asrock boards boot within 5 seconds (they clear the UEFI stage) unless I install cards that slow down boot sequence (i.e. SAS controllers and such).

Comment

Any updates or new possibilities in terms of Ryzen coreboot or libreboot? Would be such a boon!

Comment

Working...
                  X