Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coreboot Had An Exciting Decade Thanks To Google's Chromebooks, Efforts Like LinuxBoot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coreboot Had An Exciting Decade Thanks To Google's Chromebooks, Efforts Like LinuxBoot

Phoronix: Coreboot Had An Exciting Decade Thanks To Google's Chromebooks, Efforts Like LinuxBoot

With all but the very first Google Chromebook devices running Coreboot in place of traditional proprietary BIOS, this has been a big win for Coreboot during the 2010s but there has also been notable offshoots like LinuxBoot and Libreboot...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too bad you cant run it on any non-Chromebook hardware except some very few, often old stuff.
    I wish you could run Coreboot, LinuxBoot, Libreboot worked on computers like the Dell XPS 13 laptop, or home-built Intel and AMD desktop computers.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I wish you could run Coreboot, LinuxBoot, Libreboot worked on computers like the Dell XPS 13 laptop, or home-built Intel and AMD desktop computers.
      Those who really want it need to contribute their time, effort, and money, to develop such solutions (i.e. if you can't do it yourself, find developers willing to take your money and their XPS 13 (and the next XPS 13 after it gets bricked, and the next XPS 13 after it gets bricked...) and reverse engineer the hardware to build such a solution). The nouveau project shows both the model, and the timeline expectation, for such support.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Too bad you cant run it on any non-Chromebook hardware except some very few, often old stuff.
        System76 and Purism are both shipping such laptops today:
        Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Coreboot is the default firmware on all Purism Librem devices including Librem 14, Librem Mini, Librem Servers, it is a lightweight secure BIOS replacement.

Comment

Working...
        X