Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASRock Rack EPYCD8 Series Make For Great Value AMD EPYC Motherboards With Rome Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Rack EPYCD8 Series Make For Great Value AMD EPYC Motherboards With Rome Support

Phoronix: ASRock Rack EPYCD8 Series Make For Great Value AMD EPYC Motherboards With Rome Support

For those that have been interested in AMD's EPYC 7002 "Rome" processors for your own server build, more 7002 series supported motherboards have been hitting Internet stores in recent weeks. If you are looking for one of the lower-cost motherboards, ASRock Rack's EPYCD8 motherboards have been refined with 7001/7002 series processor support.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is supposed to be "low cost" ? At €560ish on geizhals.de, it's expensive for having old PCIe 3.0.

PCIe v4 might not be that great of a deal for fome build, but for server, it's another story...

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
      This is supposed to be "low cost" ?
      Have you found any other cheaper EPYC retail board? Most/all are more expensive than that.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

it would be nice to test Rocm stack performance in those pcie..

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          while maintaining support for the EPYC 7001 Naple series.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
            Unfortunately I have no Radeon Pro cards for testing.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Cheaping out on the BIOS chip on these high-cost boards seems to be a really bad mistake of the motherboard makers. And if I were a customer of such a board, I'd be upset about it as it undermines the upgradeability promise AMD made and influences the TCO negatively. I wonder to whom they are marketing these 32Mbit/PCIE 3.0 boards as most new customers should be better served to go straight to the PCIE 4.0 capable boards. And I doubt that customers of the old revision will swap out these boards with the newer revision.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
                Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Unfortunately I have no Radeon Pro cards for testing.
                You shouldn't need a Radeon Pro card... Vega56/64 or Radeon VII should be fine. Same for Polaris & Fiji, although more of the testing is on Vega these days.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  You shouldn't need a Radeon Pro card... Vega56/64 or Radeon VII should be fine. Same for Polaris & Fiji, although more of the testing is on Vega these days.
                  In terms of real-world use though, are there many ROCm users with EPYC + Vega consumer cards? Just as I assumed from the original comment, the focus was on loading it up with multiple cards for ROCm tests. So just wasn't sure if there was a lot of EPYC + consumer card usage as well as how well ROCm works these days when multiple cards are not the same model?
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Have you found any other cheaper EPYC retail board? Most/all are more expensive than that.
                    On geizhals.de
                    ASUS KPNA-U16 353€
                    Supermicro H11SSL-i 370€

But I think with both mobos you have to ensure to get the second revision with 32 MB BIOS/UEFI flash.

Comment

Working...
                    X