Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD AM2 processor Motherboard that works with Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD AM2 processor Motherboard that works with Linux?

I'm seeking to acquire an AM2 motherboard ATX or mATX (new or used) that Linux will work after install.

I have a AMD Athlon 64 x 2 4200 (940 pin) AM2 processor and I'm typically using Linux Mint 5 KDE edition.

So can anyone here recommend such a motherboard(s) that'll work as well as being a reliable one?

I see mostly Intel processor motherboards discussed for Linux use but not AMD all that much if really any at all.

Hope to hear back from someone soon as I'm itching to put together this computer system if viable.

Thanks
    Last edited by nickt1862; 19 January 2009, 02:23 PM.

Originally posted by nickt1862 View Post
    I'm seeking to acquire an AM2 motherboard ATX or mATX (new or used) that Linux will work after install.

I have a AMD Athlon 64 x 2 4200 (940 pin) AM2 processor and I'm typically using Linux Mint 5 KDE edition.

So can anyone here recommend such a motherboard(s) that'll work as well as being a reliable one?

I see mostly Intel processor motherboards discussed for Linux use but not AMD all that much if really any at all.

Hope to hear back from someone soon as I'm itching to put together this computer system if viable.

Thanks
    Pretty much any AM2 board will work fine in linux. Some ati chipsets have their quirks though.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Pretty much any AM2 board will work fine in linux. Some ati chipsets have their quirks though.
      Thanks deanjo - From using Google I've been reading plenty of (1 plus years and some within 6 months actually) older user experiences that were negative with many AM2 motherboards and Linux.

I'll just stay within the Nvidia chipsets then.

Hopefully one day Linux will just work no matter what hardware is thrown at it.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by nickt1862 View Post

Thanks

I use a gigabyte GA-MAS2H series motherboard right now and everything works aok. It uses an AMD 780G Northbridge and an SB700 southbridge.

I have had good experiences with several gigabyte mb's with amd chipsets.

Comment

What will you be doing with this mobo?

Personally, I have a Biostar TA780G board that I'm very happy with. (BTW, I had to return an ASUS M3A78-EM because of non-Linux-specific issues).

Some ati chipsets have their quirks though.
          nvidia has its quirks too (especially with installing the binary driver and keeping it working through kernel updates).

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
            What will you be doing with this mobo?

Personally, I have a Biostar TA780G board that I'm very happy with. (BTW, I had to return an ASUS M3A78-EM because of non-Linux-specific issues).

nvidia has its quirks too (especially with installing the binary driver and keeping it working through kernel updates).
            Just out of curiosity, what was wrong with the M3A78-EM that you had?...

I've been thinking about putting together a PC soon enough, and I was going for that motherboard (mostly because it was cheaper than the alternatives~).

Sorry to detract a bit: Is it still worth going dual? Or should I step up to quad right now? And any news on the other Phenom II CPUs?... It's a budget build, though...

OP: Pretty much all the 780G boards will work great under linux. The same goes for the other AMD chipsets. I don't know about the GeForce ones, but I'm sure they work great. Personally, I'd go 780G, if only because a free 3D driver has been released for RV600/RV700... yeah, it'll take a while to show up in your distro, but it does mean you can cut off the fglrx crap.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxist View Post
              I use a gigabyte GA-MAS2H series motherboard right now and everything works aok. It uses an AMD 780G Northbridge and an SB700 southbridge.

I have had good experiences with several gigabyte mb's with amd chipsets.
              Glad that works. I have M78 nvidia version of that board and I hate it. Going to get a 780g at some point or whatever they come out with after 780G. I hope they have good raid support by that time.

Comment

I'm working at an Asus M2A-VM with a AMD-ATI 690G and SB600. It works fine and with an AMD 4850e (2x2500, 45W TDP) the whole system eats up 45W idle and 75W max. I'm quite fond of it. You just need a relatively recent Kernel to access the chipsets. (My old Gentoo install media I first tried when I installed my machine was not able to see the SATA discs, had to use a newer media.)
                I have no experiences with nvidia chipsets but I hear some people get along with them but others also shouting about it. Well, probably many factors in the equation.

edit: The board b.t.w. is well equipped and affordable. I especially like the ASUS BIOS flash mechanism, you just put the Bios Image on a VFAT media (hdd, floppy, cfcard, stick...) and enter the BIOS setup and tell it where the file is located and there you go. No need for Windows based flash programs or DOS boot floppies.
                Last edited by Adarion; 08 March 2009, 10:56 AM.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

I would stay away from nvidia chipsets, would probably pick a 780g board, they seem good value for money, something from Gigabyte/Asus

Comment

AM3 Board

Eventhough it's not an AM2 board, I just got a GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P AM3 mobo paired with a phenom II x3 720 cpu, and they rock. Work out of the box with linux (Arch linux, kernel 2.6.28) with no problems what so ever.

Comment

Working...
                    X