No announcement yet.

Acer Begins Publishing UEFI Firmware Updates For Linux Users On LVFS For Fwupd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acer Begins Publishing UEFI Firmware Updates For Linux Users On LVFS For Fwupd

Phoronix: Acer Begins Publishing UEFI Firmware Updates For Linux Users On LVFS For Fwupd

Following a lengthy evaluation period, Acer is the latest hardware manufacturer offering firmware updates for their products via the Linux Vendor Firmware Service (LVFS) for easily applying these updates from the Linux desktop with Fwupd...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I was starting to get excited when I saw A315 - but model numbers from Acer have very little consistency. My own Aspire 3 A315-41-R18T (bought new at the start of this year, but the design seems to have been around for maybe 15 months now) could reasonably be described as low-end and is 1920x1080, but Ryzen 5 2500U. Oh well, maybe my next laptop won't need windows for UEFI/BIOS updates.

Comment

At least something is moving, without proper hardware support the year of Linux will never happened. I am struggling with a couple of Canon printers and eventually I finished creating a W10 Virtual Machine as printer server because the basic function available on Linux doesn't handle the maintenance tasks and you need those since the moment on of the printer doesn't have a lcd interface...

Comment

Too bad Asus and Gigabyte does not support LVFS yet. 😢

Comment

It's good to see forward progress, I wish HP would finally make their laptop firmware updates public.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Too bad Asus and Gigabyte does not support LVFS yet. 😢
            They don't support Windows either for that matter. Only update method offered is to copy the firmware on a flash drive, reboot in UEFI settings and then use its own tool to do the job.

That's already good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by zerothruster View Post
              I was starting to get excited when I saw A315 - but model numbers from Acer have very little consistency. My own Aspire 3 A315-41-R18T (bought new at the start of this year, but the design seems to have been around for maybe 15 months now) could reasonably be described as low-end and is 1920x1080, but Ryzen 5 2500U. Oh well, maybe my next laptop won't need windows for UEFI/BIOS updates.
              Afaik Acer UEFI updates are distributed like for Asus/Gigabyte, you download a zip file, extract it on a USB drive and then reboot into UEFI settings menu to actually load and flash it.

Comment

Is there a central listing of vendors / products that support fwupd? In future builds its a legitimate value add that I want to consider in purchases but the info is all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                  Is there a central listing of vendors / products that support fwupd? In future builds its a legitimate value add that I want to consider in purchases but the info is all over the place.

Comment

Stupid question, I get kind of excited about such news, Vendors start to care about linux great, but isn't that also a problem?

Firmware/Bios can be seen as hardware according to the FSF if it's a fixed hardware, but if you can send updates to every machine very often and automatically without the user making even a decision about it, is that then still true?

I mean I guess it also comes down how complex this firmwares are if it's only a microcode in a cpu you likely can't include a backdoor into that, but in this 5 TB Uefi Firmwares? So doesn't such updates reduce the security against this companies and the state that can force this companies to include anti-features, like backdoors and stuff like that?

Comment

Working...
                    X