Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The EOMA68 Upgradeable ARM Board Faces Another Setback: HDMI Connectors Don't Fit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• polarathene
    replied
    Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post

SMARC doesn't give you the flexibility PCMCIA cards give..
    What about that one that Google/Motorola ditched but the driver code still exists for in the kernel as Greybus? That was all about modular interchangeable parts.

Leave a comment:

• tuxd3v
    replied
    Originally posted by discordian View Post
    What's wrong with using a module standard like SMARC? Nih, or afraid of creating something of relevance?
    The big thing about open-source is code reuse and testing. When it to hardware it seems that's the first thing dumped into a deep sea
    The problem with this Modules, is that you need always, or almost always a base carrier board, that has the same complexity has the module, majority of times even more..

They wanted to do all( or almost all) in the PCMCIA card sized board..
    Also if you go for launch, you can simply get the card out, and be with it in your pocket, preventing theft for example..
    You can switch between computers easily also..

SMARC doesn't give you the flexibility PCMCIA cards give..

Leave a comment:

• tuxd3v
    replied
    A lot of challenges, some of them shouldn't even be there..
    I am not blaming them for it, has they rely in outsourcing to do the job..
    Its difficult to get something like we wanted too, a lot of times..

In my country that are a old proverbial rule, that says.."If you want something well done, ..you need to do it yourself..!!"
    But here, without the mass production capabilities for that, this proverbial part, seems to be holding them back..

I regret that, but I acknowledge,
    That "resilience, could limit the amount of failure.."..
    Increasing the amount of work, will help, even if sometimes they need to do "silly things"( that were supposed to be done by the manufacturer.. ).
    They have my respect for been resilient, with the project, and it will Succeed.
    Probably later versions( with lower node fabrication processes ), I hope they could revamp the specs to another level..

The vulkan project, its something that I don't really understand..
    There are out there already great performance/Watt mobile graphics.. PowerVr,ARM mali, Vivante, ThinkSilicon Nema( which for me, they are simply, the best option.. and they do sell their ip to any riscv that wants it, Risc-v SiFive is one of their consumers.. ).

I think, before "embarking in a Alien ship to Alpha Centaurus"( with the vulkan project.. ), take the suit out, and put both boots on the Planet Hearth ground, solve the challenges you have right now..
    After, ..if you want to dream with it, go ahead..

Leave a comment:

• discordian
    replied
    What's wrong with using a module standard like SMARC? Nih, or afraid of creating something of relevance?

The big thing about open-source is code reuse and testing. When it to hardware it seems that's the first thing dumped into a deep sea

Leave a comment:

Working...
X