Linux Finally Has A Fix For Crackling Audio Input On Recent AMD Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ernstp View Post

If you know how to build the linux kernel, grab the patch https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...bd8a78f5ecc7db and change the { PCI_DEVICE(0x1022, 0x1457), stuff in the bottom of the patch to your 15e3.
    I got no problem patching a kernel but i use 4.19, is there a patch for lts 4.19 or does this patch apply to 4.19 as well?
    It seems to apply to 4.19.66 as well.
    Last edited by Nille_kungen; 13 August 2019, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Finally, some sort of solution. A shame a proper fix hasn't been found, but at this point I'll take it. Is this going to be backported to stable kernels though?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        I wouldn't consider that "proper". It's not necessarily worse, but SPDIF and HDMI are more what I'd call proper, due to lower latency and less CPU overhead.
        are there spdif or hdmi microphones? spdif for external sound card is ok

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          are there spdif or hdmi microphones? spdif for external sound card is ok
          Technically yes, though maybe not worth the cost and hardware to do so. So in that regard, I would agree that USB is probably the best way to get good input audio quality for a reasonable price.

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post

If you know how to build the linux kernel, grab the patch https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...bd8a78f5ecc7db and change the { PCI_DEVICE(0x1022, 0x1457), stuff in the bottom of the patch to your 15e3.
            I tried it but it didn't solve the problem of crackling playback using wired headset.
            I always crackles in wired headphones even if i don't playback any sound at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
              I tried it but it didn't solve the problem of crackling playback using wired headset.
              I always crackles in wired headphones even if i don't playback any sound at all.
              Oh that was your issue, well that sounds (haha) different. This was specifically that playback was fine but recording was horrible. File a new bug at bugzilla.kernel.org with as much output as you can, there's a script called alsa-info that you can run for a good summary. Perhaps add [email protected] as CC even.

Comment

Who can sell chips that don't even work? AMD looks even worse not making sure it works and fixing it.

Comment

The crackling audio output has been driving me crazy. It goes away after a while.... but how long it is all crackly seems rather random. Nothing really seems to trigger it getting crackly / or better. I am using a B350 motherboard. and Ryzen 5 1600 CPU.

Comment

Damn, I thought it's just a bad onboard audio all along. I bought a decent sound card to get rid of the poor microphone quality and now this...

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post
                      Who can sell chips that don't even work? AMD looks even worse not making sure it works and fixing it.
                      AMD is just using Realtek's chips. there's nothing they can do about this. Realtek would need to publish the documentation for the kernel devs to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                      X