No announcement yet.

ROCK Pi 4 Is Becoming A Good Arm SBC With Panfrost Graphics & Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROCK Pi 4 Is Becoming A Good Arm SBC With Panfrost Graphics & Wayland Support

Phoronix: ROCK Pi 4 Is Becoming A Good Arm SBC With Panfrost Graphics & Wayland Support

At $39 to $66 USD depending upon model, the ROCK Pi 4 is evolving to offer nice open-source support down to the Arm Mali graphics thanks to the Panfrost Mesa driver and also works nicely with Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That should also apply to the RockPro64 too right? Same SoC afaik, not sure if there's more to it for also getting the u-boot support.

Comment

The RockPro64 was already top choice for NAS builds even without the graphics: http://www.doug-cooper.com/?p=14

With video decoders and basic graphics acceleration it might turn into a decent streamer / light desktop.

As an SBC for embedded development I believe the RK3399 is a bit high on the power consumption though.

Now the PineBOOK Pro... That's something worth looking into.

Comment

Rock Pi 4 ?

Coat tail marketing that Aldi* would be proud of.

*For those that don't know Aldi, it's a German retailer notorious for knocking off branded product packaging to make it's own store brand products look like the branded product.

Comment

Having open source GPU drivers available, can offer substantial advantages, beign way ahead competition

Comment

Slartifartblast except Rock Pi 4 is far more superior to Raspberry Pi 4 in terms of the features, performance and design. I own both of them, 2 of each, I hate the Raspberry Pi 4. The only advantage of Raspberry Pi is there are much more 3rd party accessories to choose.

Comment

Pretty interesting news. This I think is the same platform as the PineBook Pro, which I've been feeling pessimistic about due to graphics drivers. Seems that alleviated that issue.

Comment

I'm hoping that the PineBookPro with its rk3399 will be a really good non-Intel platform, particularly because the GPU is becoming well supported.

Comment

Originally posted by speculatrix View Post
                  I'm hoping that the PineBookPro with its rk3399 will be a really good non-Intel platform, particularly because the GPU is becoming well supported.
                  You, and a boatload of other people.
                  The Pine Group has released the Pinebook Pro to purchase by the public, as of the end of July.
                  $199.95 for a Linux 14" 1080p IPS display, 4 GB LPDDR4, and in a magnesium-alloy case? Incredible.
                  Game-changer.

You can now buy Pinebook Pro, or more preciely pre-order it, for $199.99. The Arm Linux laptop features a Rockchip RK3399 SoC, 4GB RAM, a 14" IPS display.

Comment

A bit offtopic, but does anyone know why Rockchip is not announcing any new ARM chips? Their RK3288 and RK3399 are getting old (both 28nm chips), while still being some of the best choices, I would like to see some 10 or 7nm products from them.
                    I know they are building x86 chips since a couple years, but there aint nothing in terms of new products either.

Ok, shouldve googled before, 8nm RK3588 is coming in 2020: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Rockch....419239.0.html
                    *drool emojies*
                    Last edited by discordian; 13 August 2019, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X