Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coreboot 4.10 Released With New Support For Many Chromebooks & Random Motherboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pgeorgi
    replied
    Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
    I always wondered why they (Coreboot) focused on niche boards when going after these former corporate desktops would drive larger adoption rates.
    coreboot developers focus on what coreboot developers have.

Leave a comment:

• edwaleni
    replied
    I would say this is a huge move forward on the support side:

HP COMPAQ-8200-ELITE-SFF-PC

Is now supported.

HP sold 10's of thousands of these in the corporate space, many can be found very cheaply in the refurb market and they support a wide range of Ivy Bridge CPU's.

The HP BIOS on them was tied to corporate asset lifecycles (no tweaking) and therefore not flexible.

I will have to rummage through my collection and see if I have one to revive and see what Coreboot has to offer.

I always wondered why they (Coreboot) focused on niche boards when going after these former corporate desktops would drive larger adoption rates.

Leave a comment:

• roughl
    replied
    Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    Awww, they cut out Geode LX (and thus also the Alix boards). :/
    Well they are not recommended for new designs since quite some time: https://pcengines.ch/alix.htm
    Not recommended for new designs - please consider our apu2 platform instead.

Leave a comment:

• roughl
    replied
    Originally posted by gnarlin View Post
    Why remove old motherboard support?
    Probably because it is a pain to maintain and nobody is testing them anymore.

Leave a comment:

• gnarlin
    replied
    Why remove old motherboard support?

Leave a comment:

• Adarion
    replied
    Awww, they cut out Geode LX (and thus also the Alix boards). :/

Leave a comment:

• DoMiNeLa10
    replied
    I'm still procrastinating my much needed coreboot upgrade. There's GNU GRUB 2.04, dynamic CPU detection in libgfxinit, and probably some other minor things I haven't paid attention to. My excuse is the fact that I want to upgrade to a better paste on my CPU (it's toasty), and I don't want to spend cash on new paste right now.

Leave a comment:

• danmcgrew
    replied
    Now, here's a project well worth contributing to.

Leave a comment:

• Coreboot 4.10 Released With New Support For Many Chromebooks & Random Motherboards

Phoronix: Coreboot 4.10 Released With New Support For Many Chromebooks & Random Motherboards

Coreboot 4.10 was released today with some 2,500+ commits over the past eight months for this increasingly popular open-source alternative to proprietary BIOS implementations...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-4.10-Released
Working...
X