Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coreboot 4.10 Released With New Support For Many Chromebooks & Random Motherboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coreboot 4.10 Released With New Support For Many Chromebooks & Random Motherboards

Phoronix: Coreboot 4.10 Released With New Support For Many Chromebooks & Random Motherboards

Coreboot 4.10 was released today with some 2,500+ commits over the past eight months for this increasingly popular open-source alternative to proprietary BIOS implementations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now, here's a project well worth contributing to.

Comment

I'm still procrastinating my much needed coreboot upgrade. There's GNU GRUB 2.04, dynamic CPU detection in libgfxinit, and probably some other minor things I haven't paid attention to. My excuse is the fact that I want to upgrade to a better paste on my CPU (it's toasty), and I don't want to spend cash on new paste right now.

Comment

Awww, they cut out Geode LX (and thus also the Alix boards). :/
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Why remove old motherboard support?

Comment

Originally posted by gnarlin View Post
            Why remove old motherboard support?
            Probably because it is a pain to maintain and nobody is testing them anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
              Awww, they cut out Geode LX (and thus also the Alix boards). :/
              Well they are not recommended for new designs since quite some time: https://pcengines.ch/alix.htm
              Not recommended for new designs - please consider our apu2 platform instead.

Comment

I would say this is a huge move forward on the support side:

HP COMPAQ-8200-ELITE-SFF-PC

Is now supported.

HP sold 10's of thousands of these in the corporate space, many can be found very cheaply in the refurb market and they support a wide range of Ivy Bridge CPU's.

The HP BIOS on them was tied to corporate asset lifecycles (no tweaking) and therefore not flexible.

I will have to rummage through my collection and see if I have one to revive and see what Coreboot has to offer.

I always wondered why they (Coreboot) focused on niche boards when going after these former corporate desktops would drive larger adoption rates.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
                  I always wondered why they (Coreboot) focused on niche boards when going after these former corporate desktops would drive larger adoption rates.
                  coreboot developers focus on what coreboot developers have.

Comment

Working...
                  X