X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dedobot
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    That's just bad luck, every consumer brand is like that.

Supermicro, Asrock Rack (and Tyan) and prebuilt servers from HP/Dell are on another level.
    I'm not bashing the brand, but over complicated motherboards and lack of clean of features models . Supermicro gave me exactly what I want .
    Asus is still my n1 desktop mb choice but for our small cgi/post facility I will stuck to boards unloaded from necessary functionality-after the fiasco of 3 dead x99 and one x79 [delixe/sabertooth]
    Died in the year of the warranty's expiration , one took i75930k with it . Thats after 15yrs depending only on Asus mbs and graphics .
    With SM I'm fine and the BMC option is neat - I'm not trading it for all of bluetooths, wireless nics, OC geeks and hundreds of usbs at this world . Cheers !
    Last edited by Dedobot; 15 July 2019, 05:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Dedobot View Post
    I was long time asus mb supporter in our company but after few dead x99 based motherboards im stuck to supermicro and didn't regret. Too much fancy features on asus's mbs which are potential point of failure. Esspesialy OC shits.
    That's just bad luck, every consumer brand is like that.

Supermicro, Asrock Rack (and Tyan) and prebuilt servers from HP/Dell are on another level.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by cynical View Post
    Yeah I am definitely not a huge fan of these power hungry chipsets. As far as I understand, this additional complexity is for supporting PCI-E 4.0. If that is the case, I wonder how the Talos II mainboard compares, since it also supports the latest PCI-E revision.
    Talos II mainboard has no PCIe controllers in the chipset, it all comes from the CPU(s) so it's all cooled by the main CPU cooler.

Leave a comment:

• ThoreauHD
    replied
    I would like to get temp reads without the motherboard fan and just a heat sink. Debauer says he can't figure out why there is a cooling solution in the first place.

It's 8 watts at idle and 14w max under load. That's a night light. Although he didn't test it with 3 x pcie 4 ssd's in a raid config. Just a standard setup.

It's hard to hit 90-100c with 8w on a massive die of that size. Not sure what the fans are really there for.

Leave a comment:

• loganj
    replied
    i got very disappointed with ASUS when i asked them about a problem that i have on linux and the response was
    Unfortunately, Linux is not supporter for this motherboard. You may check this link for more details: Motherboards that support Linux.
    The motherboard is Crosshair VI hero.
    The issue i have is about sound card that fail to start on every boot. this happen random and i couldn't figure it out. I wonder if rdrand problem is also present on 1st ryzen cpu?

Leave a comment:

• ernstp
    replied
    Michael can you test analog mic recording?

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post

How do you know what speed it spins at? 40mm fans need to spin at a relatively high speed to move any "appreciable" air. A 10-15W chipset is harder to cool (quietly) than you think. I got a large heatsink to passively cool an nForce4 UItra board, but it ended up being blazing hot and I had to aim a 120mm fan at it to keep temps in check.
    The power consumption is so low that you could run it fan-less, as at last one manufacturer did (Gigabyte?). This guy ended his video asking why they did bother including a fan at all:

Leave a comment:

• Brisse
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post
    Tiny, whiny fans are a bug; not a feature!
    I can't believe a board that costs so much wouldn't use a heatpipe like higher-end boards did in the days of nForce 4/5 chipsets. They could have at least used a bigger (and thus, slower/quieter) fan. A 40mm fan is going to easily be the noisiest thing in most systems, especially in these days of better stock heatsinks and silent SSD's.
    There is one X570 MB which uses a heat-pipe instead of a fan. IIRC it was one of Gigabyte's models. The heat-pipe leads to the VRM heat-sink, which was a proper heat-sink and not just one of these "mostly-just-for-looks" aluminium blocks without fins.

I too pretty much despise this aesthetics before function trend that has been going on lately. I wish there was more consumer class hardware with the features that I needed that didn't have all the stupid RGB-bling and stuff.

Leave a comment:

• cynical
    replied
    Yeah I am definitely not a huge fan of these power hungry chipsets. As far as I understand, this additional complexity is for supporting PCI-E 4.0. If that is the case, I wonder how the Talos II mainboard compares, since it also supports the latest PCI-E revision.

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    It's not spinning at any appreciable speed. It's there to cool 15w, not 100w.
    How do you know what speed it spins at? 40mm fans need to spin at a relatively high speed to move any "appreciable" air. A 10-15W chipset is harder to cool (quietly) than you think. I got a large heatsink to passively cool an nForce4 UItra board, but it ended up being blazing hot and I had to aim a 120mm fan at it to keep temps in check.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X