No announcement yet.

ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO Testing On Ubuntu 18.04 Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael can you test analog mic recording?

Comment

i got very disappointed with ASUS when i asked them about a problem that i have on linux and the response was
      Unfortunately, Linux is not supporter for this motherboard. You may check this link for more details: Motherboards that support Linux.
      The motherboard is Crosshair VI hero.
      The issue i have is about sound card that fail to start on every boot. this happen random and i couldn't figure it out. I wonder if rdrand problem is also present on 1st ryzen cpu?

Comment

I would like to get temp reads without the motherboard fan and just a heat sink. Debauer says he can't figure out why there is a cooling solution in the first place.

It's 8 watts at idle and 14w max under load. That's a night light. Although he didn't test it with 3 x pcie 4 ssd's in a raid config. Just a standard setup.

It's hard to hit 90-100c with 8w on a massive die of that size. Not sure what the fans are really there for.

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post
          Yeah I am definitely not a huge fan of these power hungry chipsets. As far as I understand, this additional complexity is for supporting PCI-E 4.0. If that is the case, I wonder how the Talos II mainboard compares, since it also supports the latest PCI-E revision.
          Talos II mainboard has no PCIe controllers in the chipset, it all comes from the CPU(s) so it's all cooled by the main CPU cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by Dedobot View Post
            I was long time asus mb supporter in our company but after few dead x99 based motherboards im stuck to supermicro and didn't regret. Too much fancy features on asus's mbs which are potential point of failure. Esspesialy OC shits.
            That's just bad luck, every consumer brand is like that.

Supermicro, Asrock Rack (and Tyan) and prebuilt servers from HP/Dell are on another level.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              That's just bad luck, every consumer brand is like that.

Supermicro, Asrock Rack (and Tyan) and prebuilt servers from HP/Dell are on another level.
              I'm not bashing the brand, but over complicated motherboards and lack of clean of features models . Supermicro gave me exactly what I want .
              Asus is still my n1 desktop mb choice but for our small cgi/post facility I will stuck to boards unloaded from necessary functionality-after the fiasco of 3 dead x99 and one x79 [delixe/sabertooth]
              Died in the year of the warranty's expiration , one took i75930k with it . Thats after 15yrs depending only on Asus mbs and graphics .
              With SM I'm fine and the BMC option is neat - I'm not trading it for all of bluetooths, wireless nics, OC geeks and hundreds of usbs at this world . Cheers !
              Last edited by Dedobot; 15 July 2019, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Talos II mainboard has no PCIe controllers in the chipset, it all comes from the CPU(s) so it's all cooled by the main CPU cooler.
                The same path that PCIe 4 was rumoured to take on earlier series AM4 boards, which lack active chipset cooling. Or has taken on such boards, according to some sources, although others claim that AMD has flipped from allowing to blocking the feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Teggs View Post

The same path that PCIe 4 was rumoured to take on earlier series AM4 boards, which lack active chipset cooling. Or has taken on such boards, according to some sources, although others claim that AMD has flipped from allowing to blocking the feature.
                  It's not rumours, it's fact, but you seem to not know the whole picture. Some of the PCIe-lanes are managed directly by the CPU (or SoC if you will) while the chipset is there to extend the amount of lanes and provide connectivity for more devices. This is true for both previous and current generations of Ryzen. So what Asus did was to give the user a switch in BIOS to enable PCIe gen 4 on older boards when paired with a new CPU, but it's important to note that 1. it's only the lanes connected directly to the CPU, not those connected through the chipset, and that 2. the boards have not been validated for PCIe gen 4 and are likely going to be unstable. AMD didn't want board partners to experiment with a feature like this and will apparently block them from doing so in future AGESA-releases.

What X570 provides is PCIe gen 4 across the board, not just the lanes connected directly to the CPU, but also those extra lanes connected to the chipset. It is also validated by the manufacturer and therefore guaranteed to be stable.
                  Last edited by Brisse; 15 July 2019, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
                    I would like to get temp reads without the motherboard fan and just a heat sink. Debauer says he can't figure out why there is a cooling solution in the first place.

It's 8 watts at idle and 14w max under load. That's a night light. Although he didn't test it with 3 x pcie 4 ssd's in a raid config. Just a standard setup.

It's hard to hit 90-100c with 8w on a massive die of that size. Not sure what the fans are really there for.
                    It's all fine and dandy when Der8auer mit acht can play around in his room temperature lab on an open bench, but the manufacturers have to validate the parts for continuous use at elevated ambient temperatures, probably something like 40-50°C, all while making sure signal integrity and performance is within specifications.

Comment

So, does wifi and bluetooth works out of the box here? No mentioning which modules are used on asus web-site. I'm looking at this exact board for my Ryzen 3xxx build later this year.

Comment

Working...
                      X