Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Releases BIOS Fix To Motherboard Partners For Booting Newer Linux Distributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    Systemd is the second most important part after the kernel from a distro building blocks and should try the make sure that it will not stop unless it's really something very very very important missing and only in that case shold stop the booting process.
    they didn't stop. their cpu operations were returning incorrect results which broke their program. how can you guard your program from some unknown cpu breakage? maybe some future bug will make cpu start substracting values instead of adding randomly, what can you do now when addition is working as intended?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      so what is precluding you from reading source comment?
      nothing, I'm just not interested in systemd and have other, important things to do

Comment

Got my Ryzen 7 3800X in today. Running BIOS 7106 for my Crosshair VI Hero X370 and no trouble booting into my Opensuse Tumbleweed install. Systemd version 242.

Comment

Debian Buster uses 241 and it's fine, too.

Comment

Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
            Debian Buster uses 241 and it's fine, too.
            Yes, Manjaro would not boot for Michael, same for me, they also appear to be on Systemd 242, not sure which sub version, Arch package shows 242-32. Tumbleweed being a rolling release, I was expecting the same problem, but did not have it. I tried booting Manjaro and received the same errors as Michael.

Comment

Workaround is now in Ubuntu 19.04:
              Code:
              systemd (240-6ubuntu5.2) disco; urgency=medium
                  [ Jeremy Soller ]
                  * random-util: eat up bad RDRAND values seen on AMD CPUs.
                    This fixes AMD Ryzen 3000 series failing to boot (LP: #1835809)

Comment

I tried booting Manjaro and received the same errors as Michael.
                It works with the latest Manjaro 18.1 testing builds for me.

Comment

Working...
                X