Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi 4 Announced With Dual HDMI, USB 3.0, Gigabit Ethernet, V3D Driver Stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Raspberry Pi 4 Announced With Dual HDMI, USB 3.0, Gigabit Ethernet, V3D Driver Stack
    Please benchmark the OpenCL performance, if you can. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
      The Odroid-N2 is $79 of asian goodness, while the Pi is $55 of Brit stiff upper lip.
      The Odroid-N2 is Mali GPU with blobby driver, while Pi is VideoCore GPU with open source driver.
      The Odroid-N2 is big, the Pi is small.
      The Odroid-N2 is just one of many, the Pi is The One.
      You forgot one:

The Odroid-N2 is fast, the Pi is slow.

The Pi stuck with lousy SD card for storage. Faster than before, but still no match for just about everything else.

Comment

Although I personally have no gripes with micro HDMI, I do think it was unwise of them to not retain at least 1 where it has always been in previous generations. It's best if the Pis can retain the original form-factor and board layout as much as possible, considering how many products that revolve around that. One of the best things about this platform is how it can be a drop-in replacement to many accessories. The 2nd HDMI port could've been micro, USB-C or really anything else.

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
        Another overpriced SBC. Unless someone is looking for something that's explicitly supported by this board, it's an overpriced piece of crap.
        Name 1 product that's a better value for the features, specs, and community support. Just 1.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
          You forgot one:

The Odroid-N2 is fast, the Pi is slow.
          Probably true. So if that is the most important parameter for you, you go buy the Odroid - or something even faster, bigger and more expensive.

Comment

I think the real competition to the RPi 4B will be the RockPro64. It has less capable CPU+GPU compared to the ODroid N2, but superior connectivity to either of the competitors. Let's see how prices are moving now that the RPi Foundation has revealed their cards.
            Item Raspberry Pi 4B RockPro64 ODroid N2
            CPU Broadcom BCM2711, 4xCortex-A72 RockChip RK3399, 2xCortex-A72+4xCortex-A53 AMLogic S922X, 4xCortex-A73+2xCortex-A53
            Memory 1, 2 or 4 GB LPDDR4 2 or 4 GB LPDDR4 4 GB LPDDR4
            GPU VideoCore VI Mali T860MP4 Mali G52
            Storage microSD microSD+eMMC microSD+eMMC
            Display 2xmicroHDMI, MIPI DSI, Composite Video HDMI, DisplayPort (via USB-C), eDP, MIPI DSI HDMI, Composite Video
            Connectivity 2xUSB 3.0 Type A, 2x USB 2.0 Type A, 3.5 mm Audio, UART 1xUSB 3.0 Type A, 1x USB 3.0 Type C, 2x USB 2.0 Type A, PCIe 2.0 x4, 3.5 mm Audio, UART 4xUSB 3.0 Type A, 1xmicroUSB 2.0 OTG, IR Receiver, UART
            Network 1x GbE, 802.11ac Wifi, BT 5.0 1xGbE, 802.11ac Wifi, BT 4.1 1xGbE
            Video Decode 4K@60 H.265, 1080P@60 H.264 4K@60 H.264/H.265/VP9, 4K@30 HDR, 1080P@60 MPEG1/2/4/VC-1 4K@60 H.265
            Video Encode 1080P@30 H.264 ? ?
            Camera MIPI CSI 2xMIPI CSI N/A
            RTC N/A battery header battery header
            Power via USB-C or GPIO header, or PoE (optional) via USB-C or coaxial connector via coaxial connector
            Price $35 / $45 / $55 (1/2/4 GB) $59.99/$79.99 (2/4 GB) $79.99 (4 GB)

Comment

I bought many embedded boards over the last few years, and many PI's in different hardware revisions. All of those boards sit in closets, because I'm limited in what I can realistically use or deploy in a sustainable manner. You can use a pre-created OS image, but I don't want that, I want to design my own OS systems without having to do low level systems engineering on every update. I want to use normal installation media, and have the power to decide what runs on my systems, and on a platform designed for me to do just that.

So my view has solidified for some time, I refuse to buy a single board without UEFI and ACPI. In addition the PI ecosystem doesn't serve the interests of the customer, it isn't designed to empower the user, it is designed to empower the foundation even at the expense of the user. This is why they didn't pursue UEFI, to protect Intel, and to make sure it was Windows on ARM that will define the entire platform. No thanks Android, no thanks Google, and no thanks Pi foundation. I can thank each of them for my growing pile of computers less than 3 years old nobody can use for any practical purpose. Apple I'd thank also... but nobody expected anything except wanton elitism from them anyway, and it's common knowledge they hate their customers.

I'll buy only Windows on ARM devices now, and I look forward to running Linux on them now or in the near future, no more bespoke fragmented platforms. Existing implementations for all the work, even on the damn PI, had already been completed. There was no excuse, other than to intentionally make things difficult.
              Last edited by techzilla; 24 June 2019, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Indeed. People tend to forget how much those things cost before the Pi. If I could, I would send those people back to the eighties to buy a BBC Micro (the inspiration for the RPi) for £335 and talk about what is expensive and what is cheap.
                And adjusting for inflation, that $425 would be $1,197.35 USD today..

Comment

It his regrettable that they have wasted the pcie os 4 usb ports..
                  They should have maximum 3 usb ports, with 1x3.0, 2x2.0 maximum,
                  The rest for a pcie header..

This Board, is more competitive against OrangePi One Plus..
                  It has more features( no pcie, but in Allwinner H6, pcie is broken so...no advantage..until someone step in and design a exotic driver for it.. ) .
                  I would love to see a full comparison at CPU/GPU with both boards at full throttle.. OpenGL, OpenCL, CPU, memory bandwidth..
                  Last edited by tuxd3v; 24 June 2019, 12:12 PM.

Comment

If the rpi4 has up to date support for rolling distros like you get with most anything x86 related then I may be onboard. I've been heavily disappointed with getting locked into specific kernel versions with gimped incomplete hardware support.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      Name 1 product that's a better value for the features, specs, and community support. Just 1.
                      Every single board from PINE64 beats rpi, and there's atomic pi if you want an x86 board. I'd have a tough time finding something as bad as rpi.

Comment

Working...
                      X