Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi 4 Announced With Dual HDMI, USB 3.0, Gigabit Ethernet, V3D Driver Stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Indeed. People tend to forget how much those things cost before the Pi. If I could, I would send those people back to the eighties to buy a BBC Micro (the inspiration for the RPi) for £335 and talk about what is expensive and what is cheap.
    Launched in December 1981, so used 1982 as a baseline.

Originally posted by https://www.officialdata.org/uk/inflation/1982?amount=399
    According to the Office for National Statistics composite price index, today's prices in 2019 are 250.01% higher than average prices throughout 1982. The pound experienced an average inflation rate of 3.44% per year during this period, meaning the real value of a dollar decreased.

In other words, £399 in 1982 is equivalent in purchasing power to about £1,396.53 in 2019, a difference of £997.53 over 37 years.
    That could buy 14 full Raspberry Pi 4 kits (to be a fairer comparison).

Comment

Does it have mainline kernel support, or is that a goal at all in the near future?

Does the USB 3 on the RPI 4 support UASP like Odroid-N2? Sounds like it's a fairly decent upgrade and not a bad price, if it has UASP support and gets an update to boot from external media, awesome

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
      If those little blockheads destroy the SD card by simply turning off the power supply, well...that's a learning experience.
      Eh? Don't decent filesystems prevent that?

It's not like you can't connect external disk?

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
        Another overpriced SBC. Unless someone is looking for something that's explicitly supported by this board, it's an overpriced piece of crap. The move to miniHDMI is a major mistake as well, old cases won't fit, and people need to replace cables in their setups. I feel bad that I spent $35 on my 3B+, pretty much every other manufacturer has a better deal, and plenty of boards have the same layout.
        $35 is not overpriced. You're just a cheap fucktard.

Comment

Originally posted by sykobee View Post
          USB hub for ethernet, flaky power, slow CPUs - it appears this board has more than resolved these issues.
          I read that this still uses USB hub for ethernet but they are using usb3.0 therefore you should be able to get full gigabit ethernet and ~4Gbps usb simultaneous transfers.

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post

I read that this still uses USB hub for ethernet but they are using usb3.0 therefore you should be able to get full gigabit ethernet and ~4Gbps usb simultaneous transfers.
            Read again
            "The Ethernet controller on the main SoC is connected to an external Broadcom PHY over a dedicated RGMII link, providing full throughput."

Comment

I intend to get one myself. Having said that, I don't like the fact it no longer has a full-sized HDMI port, which means I need to get a dongle. I would rather have had a single full-size HDMI then two MicroHDMI. Also because I don't think the Pi4 is powerfull enough to drive two displays, and it being extremely unlikely that I (like undoubtedly the vast majority of people) will ever connect a second display to it.

Also, what is with the lack of a power button, if your pushing this for desktop use? At the very least offer a USB-C power adapter with a switch on the cable, like some 3rd party power supplies for the P3.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post

Well that's nice although it still doesn't say if that plan is full UEFI or just an extension of the current boot system. Either way I look forward to seeing such improvements on future boards
                It is very likely the new Raspberry Pi will get proper UEFI by unofficial means, the beauty of the Pi board is that all the boot code is on the SDcard and as such can be easy replaced.

If you seek UEFI for the Raspberry Pi 3 (And possibly 4 in the future) take a look at this : https://github.com/andreiw/RaspberryPiPkg

Comment

Finally 5 years later the day that a raspberry-pi competes with an Odroid has come. Still the Odroid-N2 with 12nm and it's awesome heatsink is cooler than the rpi4 with 28nm and no heatsink. Let's see how the software evolves.

Comment

Damn, instead of second HDMI I'd have preffered another Gigabit Ethernet port.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
                      Finally 5 years later the day that a raspberry-pi competes with an Odroid has come. Still the Odroid-N2 with 12nm and it's awesome heatsink is cooler than the rpi4 with 28nm and no heatsink. Let's see how the software evolves.
                      The Odroid-N2 is $79 of asian goodness, while the Pi is $55 of Brit stiff upper lip.
                      The Odroid-N2 is Mali GPU with blobby driver, while Pi is VideoCore GPU with open source driver.
                      The Odroid-N2 is big, the Pi is small.
                      The Odroid-N2 is just one of many, the Pi is The One.

Comment

Working...
                      X