Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi 4 Announced With Dual HDMI, USB 3.0, Gigabit Ethernet, V3D Driver Stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
    Look at ROCKPINE64 if you want something that can beat rpi4 in the ~$55 market.
    Moving the goalposts eh?
    That's a good platform for the price, but it's a mildly better value. You get a handful of additional connectors and a higher-clocked CPU. That's about it. GPU support is still crap (albeit, the PCIe slot could make up for that), it's still physically larger, and you don't get the massive community.

To clarify: yes, the Pi4 is overall worse, but it isn't the heavily-exaggerated steaming pile of crap that you make it out to be.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Moving the goalposts eh?
      That's a good platform for the price, but it's a mildly better value. You get a handful of additional connectors and a higher-clocked CPU. That's about it. GPU support is still crap (albeit, the PCIe slot could make up for that), it's still physically larger, and you don't get the massive community.

To clarify: yes, the Pi4 is overall worse, but it isn't the heavily-exaggerated steaming pile of crap that you make it out to be.
      Not to mention, the RockPro64 requires a lot of custom drivers, which makes OS selection much more difficult. And last time I checked, those drivers aren't in the mainline kernel or any of the distro repositories. You're pretty much limited to OS images created by a user who goes by the name of "Ayufan".

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

Look at ROCKPINE64 if you want something that can beat rpi4 in the ~$55 market.
        A slower CPU, slower GPU, slower RAM, bad software support and a horrible GPU driver blob that can barley do hardware video decoding?

Oh, it also has no 5GHz Wifi and both slower and less stable bluetooth. Sounds like a fantastic board, you should get it!
        Last edited by Pajn; 24 June 2019, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
          does PCIe means that I can install a card for multiple SATA or M.2 drives?
          As far as I can tell, the RPI 4 doesn't have a PCIe slot. If you're looking for a PCIe slot, you might want to take a look at a RK3399 board like the RockPro64 or the NanoPi M4. but Rockchip SoCs require special drivers which aren't in the mainline kernel, which makes OS selection rather difficult. Plus, you never know when the OS maintainer, Ayufan, will stop working on the OS you've picked. It's best to go with a SBC that has mainline support because that way, you can be sure your board will be supported for years instead of whenever the developer stops loses interest in your SBC of choice.

Comment

RockPro64 looks like someone chewed up all the connectors and spat it out on a board. Hard to recommend something so poorly thought out to anyone unless cost is the sole concern. If you want RK3399, the best board is still Renegade Elite but it costs a bit more. The upside is that it has USB Type C PD with DP and PCI-E M.2 4-lane.

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
              @ #4:

"...Remember folks, the intended use for the RPi boards is education..."

I guess that's why this new improved, competitive version STILL does not have any form of proper, high-speed mass-storage; only the corruptible, slow SD card.
              The corruptible SD card is due, of, course, to the Pi's having no shut-down procedure--a situation which has existed since the introduction of the very first Pi.
              As one commenter said long ago, "Hey, this is for education purposes. If those little blockheads destroy the SD card by simply turning off the power supply, well...that's a learning experience."

Way to go, Upton, with all your REALLY important "improvements".
              Do you see power buttons on any other single board computers? I can only assume you've never done any looking.

Comment

@ 68:
                "Do you see power buttons on any other single board computers? I can only assume you've never done any looking."

Many thanks for making my point that Raspberry Pi fanboys are incapable of rational thought, objective thinking, and neither READING nor READING COMPREHENSION.
                If you were capable of reading, thinking ahead, and furthermore, comprehending, you would have read, just five comments earlier (comment #63) that what you were in such a haste to post--and DISprove, I guess--had already been answered...and PROVEN.
                Furthermore, I said absolutely nothing about "...power buttons...". I only said that the RPi has "...no shut-down procedure...".
                There are many ways to effect an orderly shut-down without the need of "...power buttons...". To think otherwise displays a consummate lack of knowledge of electronic design.

I can only assume that, like all Raspberry Pi fanboys, you've never done any thinking.

"Most people will accept facts as true only if those facts agree with what they already believe."

Comment

Originally posted by LoveRPi View Post
                  RockPro64 looks like someone chewed up all the connectors and spat it out on a board. Hard to recommend something so poorly thought out to anyone unless cost is the sole concern. If you want RK3399, the best board is still Renegade Elite but it costs a bit more. The upside is that it has USB Type C PD with DP and PCI-E M.2 4-lane.
                  I took a look, and yeah, the Renegade Elite looks a little nicer and the board design looks a little more thought out, but I the RockPro64 has an actual PCIe slot on there. The Renegade's PCIe connector is in the form of a GPIO-esque set of pins, and Libre Computing doesn't even make an adapter. Really, where I take issue with the RockPro64 is the abysmal OS situation.
                  Last edited by Faber; 25 June 2019, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov
                    Yes! Finally an RPi with a somewhat decent GPU.
                    Still awaiting specifics, but it doesn't look like it. More modern, but probably still lagging just about everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post

I took a look, and yeah, the Renegade Elite looks a little nicer and the board design looks a little more thought out, but I the RockPro64 has an actually PCIe slot on there. The Renegade's PCIe connector is in the form of a GPIO-esque set of pins, and Libre Computing doesn't even make an adapter. Really, where I take issue with the RockPro64 is the abysmal OS situation.
                      They do make a M.2 mezzanine with and without PoE and battery charging and UPS.

Comment

Working...
                      X