Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi 4 Announced With Dual HDMI, USB 3.0, Gigabit Ethernet, V3D Driver Stack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by xfcemint View Post
    What is the difference, when you connect a USB flash storage to a SBC, what magic thing does "crappy storage" suddenly gain that makes it adequate?
    Originally posted by coder View Post
    Here are some benchmarks, so you can start to get your head around just how bad cheap USB flash drives really are...
    Nah, that wasn't my question. I know the benchmarks.

My question is: what magic thing does "crappy storage" suddenly gain when you connect it to a SBC?

Of course, the premise is that "crappy storage" must gain something when you connect it to a SBC, because it suddenly becomes good enough when you connect it to a SBC.

Comment

• Originally posted by xfcemint View Post
      My question is: what magic thing does "crappy storage" suddenly gain when you connect it to a SBC?

Of course, the premise is that "crappy storage" must gain something when you connect it to a SBC, because it suddenly becomes good enough when you connect it to a SBC.
      The performance of USB flash drives is so poor that it always has a noticeable impact on the user experience. If someone cannot afford even to equip a PC with a half-decent SATA drive ($20 will buy a 120 GB Crucial BX500), then you have to ask whether the differential between the PC and SBC wouldn't be better spent on equipping their SBC with better storage, such as a SSD in an external enclosure.

One of the benefits of a PC is that it already has a SATA controller (along with power and a place for the drive), delivering even faster performance at a lower price differential than most SBCs. Your bare-minimum PC, running on a USB flash drive, wastes this benefit. As long as someone can afford it, that would be a bad place to save a couple $.

Comment

• You are completely missing the point.

SBCs support USB flash storage. PCs also support SSD storage. Or, at least, PCs have better support for SSD storage.

So: SBCs have feature "A". PCs have feature "A" and "B". (Where "A"= USB storage support, "B" = SSD support).
        How can you argue that this is a disadvantage for a PC?

In this comparison, PCs have more features. How can an extra feature be counted as a disadvantage for a PC?

Comment

Working...
        X