PCI Express 5.0 Announced With 32GT/s Transfer Rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
    Isn't there any aftermarket fan for PCH or water cooler block for it? Like the ones we buy for CPU etc
    waterblocks for chipsets aren't a new thing, they will appear for this hardware too. https://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g30...s_Chipset.html

Also custom fans will appear if it becomes a thing, like back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      If if it's going to come with the same major downsides as X570 I really don't care about what it's bringing.

I am already considering to buy a X470 motherboard for the Ryzen third generation (zen2) processors instead of x570 because I don't like the higher power consumption and even if I might let this pass considering the performance improvements, for sure I cannot let it pass the fact that the chipset requires an active cooler.
      I really don't want any noise coming from the motherboard itself.
      And besides the noise I don't want to worry about what happens when the fan get's stuck by some loose wire, insect, dust or when it will eventually die.
      I was just getting to be happing that we're eliminating one more moving part from the computer slowly replacing the HDDs with SSDs and now another moving part comes directly on the motherboard.
      And there's one thing when a non vital component dies and a whole lot different when the most important component dies (the motherboard).
      I plan to keep my new motherboard for around 10 years like I did with the other ones, but with a moving part I bet that is impossible.
      I see the X50 as:
      More power hungry
      More noisy (because of the fan)
      More failure prone (because of the fan)

The last two are NO-GO for me, so I made up my mind I would buy an x470 motherboard instead.
      I know that at least for MSI, the fan will spin only if it gets hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post

which makes it even harder to detect fan failure before it's too late.

Really they need to go back to the humongous gaming heatsinks I've seen in the Core Duo era.

Comment

Any of these boards can have their firmware updated on linux? Be it through fwupd or some other way?

Comment

Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post

That would be the logical thing, but I haven't seen any of the manufacturers confirming that.
            I don't see them even mentioning clearly in the specs and in the pictures seems to be always covered so the buyers can easily miss it and find out only later.

And in the case I leave the computer on over night to download something like with the bittorrent technology which pushes SSDs and HDDs to high levels of usage, I bet that the chipset might get too hot and then the fan, being so little might get to very high speed to compensate and that will make it very loud.
            I'm planning to pay extra for the power supply, case and motherboard for silence and I don't want to make a compromise on this.
            The could've used the extra money from the motherboard's price to make it also in 7nm or to put a large enough metallic radiator.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              If if it's going to come with the same major downsides as X570 I really don't care about what it's bringing.

I am already considering to buy a X470 motherboard for the Ryzen third generation (zen2) processors instead of x570 because I don't like the higher power consumption and even if I might let this pass considering the performance improvements, for sure I cannot let it pass the fact that the chipset requires an active cooler.
              I really don't want any noise coming from the motherboard itself.
              And besides the noise I don't want to worry about what happens when the fan get's stuck by some loose wire, insect, dust or when it will eventually die.
              I was just getting to be happing that we're eliminating one more moving part from the computer slowly replacing the HDDs with SSDs and now another moving part comes directly on the motherboard.
              And there's one thing when a non vital component dies and a whole lot different when the most important component dies (the motherboard).
              I plan to keep my new motherboard for around 10 years like I did with the other ones, but with a moving part I bet that is impossible.
              I see the X50 as:
              More power hungry
              More noisy (because of the fan)
              More failure prone (because of the fan)

The last two are NO-GO for me, so I made up my mind I would buy an x470 motherboard instead.
              Won't it be possible to replace the stock chipset cooler with an aftermarket solution? You could probably hook it up to a water-cooled loop. It would make perfect sense for blocks for this motherboard to start popping up, just like with blocks for GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
                So maybe, if AMD/Intel decide to support 5.0 in future, we might see something in 2020 or so if lucky?
                2021 more likely
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                  Any of these boards can have their firmware updated on linux? Be it through fwupd or some other way?
                  No they won't. But they can't (or shouldn't) be updated under Windows either.

Only safe/recommended way is the usual "reboot to uefi and select update file from USB drive"

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                    Won't it be possible to replace the stock chipset cooler with an aftermarket solution?
                    It's 100% possible but how easy it is will depend from the heatsink complexity, (for example if you have heatpipes running across the board like with that MSI board it's harder) and of course you are most likely voiding warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

Won't it be possible to replace the stock chipset cooler with an aftermarket solution? You could probably hook it up to a water-cooled loop. It would make perfect sense for blocks for this motherboard to start popping up, just like with blocks for GPUs.
                      Maybe, but the only thing that I would replace it is a big radiator (I don't want any noise) and this they can do it directly from the factory. I don't want to mess around the motherboard this way and then be worried that the radiator fells down and leaves the chipset with nothing. And I don't want to void the warranty to fix something they can do it from the beginning.

Comment

Working...
                      X