Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    That's a cooler thing.
    Usually yes, but not exclusively. I'd be very interested in knowing if there's electronic noise coming from the motherboard. Some designs can cause electronic noise (e.g. high-pitched whines). It's not super-common at the motherboard level, but it's not unheard of. I've got an HP workstation (Z420) that has noise issues, and there was even a BIOS update to help mitigate them by adjusting power management policies.

This sort of thing isn't as annoying in a $100 motherboard, but I'd be irritated beyond belief after dropping $999 and hearing the reminder for the next few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrablit View Post
      Usually yes, but not exclusively. I'd be very interested in knowing if there's electronic noise coming from the motherboard. Some designs can cause electronic noise (e.g. high-pitched whines).
      It's called "coil whine" and it comes from coils (or chokes, that are still coils but with an external metal casing). Power flowing through them deforms them and causes them to vibrate at the same frequency the power flows (which is usually high frequency), making the noise. General solution is to hotglue them, use heatshrink tube or use insulating paint for waterproofing electronics on the offending coil. Been there, done that.

You can see this done preemptively (blobs of glue or heatshrink tube) on many coils in consumer electronics, usually PSUs.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
        ppc64 (big endian) is on maintenance mode (no new features, but will remain available). ppc64le is still fully supported.
        Probably too much software now assumes little endian, resulting in too much breakage in big-endian mode.

Comment

Originally posted by beep View Post
          Please test the noise levels (idle, max load) too.
          Would like to know if I can put it under my desk to replace my homeserver.
          With which CPU? The 4-core config is quoted as 90 W TDP, with 31 W @ idle and 58 W @ full load.

https://wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/Talos...gy_consumption

Here's an unsupported cooling mod, linked from the Talos II hardware support list: https://wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/Dual_92mm_fan_CPU

With the quad-core CPU, you could certainly get away with using just one of those fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
            At first I also thought that it's odd that there are only two DIMM slots but then I read the specs. Those slots can already fit 256 GB of memory which is not that bad.
            My concern with the DIMM slots is not capacity, but bandwidth. 8 fast cores (32 threads!) is certainly enough to encounter bandwidth bottlenecks. Workload-dependent, obviously, but I'm certain it'd be a measurable amount.

Also, consider that you could have PCIe 4.0-connected peripherals competing for that memory bandwidth, as well. The nominal unidirectional speed of a x16 slot is 32 GB/sec, which is the bulk of what a dual-channel DDR4 config could support.

Comment

Working...
            X