SolidRun ClearFog: A 16-Core ARM ITX Workstation Board Aiming For $500~750 USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boxie View Post

It would certainly make for a very shiny little server, Can I ask what the max operating temp's are?

Also, just for shits and giggles, are you able to throw in an RX480 or something and run some gaming benchmarks - we all know faster CPU means more FPS, just wondering what sort of FPS/hz and FPS/watt would be?
    Is also curious about the RX 480.

Comment

Originally posted by linux4kix View Post
      it supports standard DDR4 SO-DIMMS up to 64GB
      Will it support ECC memory (in ECC mode)?

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
        I see 80KB of $1 cache per CPU or 160KB $1 per cluster..
        Which totals 1280KB of $1 cache

Probably the rest of memory( to fullfill the 2048KB ) is not cache but related with boot initialisation, has happen is another ARM CPUs( sram to get some bootloader stage...),
        Or perhaps,any Buffering done to access $3 cache via interconnect..
        It looks like that what NXP quotes as 18MB is made of 8MB of L2 cache, 8MB of platform cache, and 2MB of packet express buffer.

cf LX2160A Product Brief pdf https://www.nxp.com/products/process...umentation_Tab

Comment

Originally posted by ldesnogu View Post
          It looks like that what NXP quotes as 18MB is made of 8MB of L2 cache, 8MB of platform cache, and 2MB of packet express buffer.

cf LX2160A Product Brief pdf https://www.nxp.com/products/process...umentation_Tab
          Thanks for the link.
          I also read 2 MB packet express buffer

In that case they are not advertising the cache $1..
          For what we saw, in all, there are 1280KB of cache $1, on that processor..

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post

Thanks for the link.
            I also read 2 MB packet express buffer

In that case they are not advertising the cache $1..
            For what we saw, in all, there are 1280KB of cache $1, on that processor..

You can see the cache layout in the device-tree for the SOC. https://source.codeaurora.org/extern...a27f146439c528

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
              Will it support ECC memory (in ECC mode)?
              Yes it should, but we have not tested it yet. That is on our list of things to validate.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Is also curious about the RX 480.
                I am also We aren't at that stage yet, probably in the next month I will do the bringup for graphics card support and then do some testing. Most likely I will test with an RX 560 just because the power footprint of the RX480 is a bit much for me. My guess is also that the 550 and 560 is more around the range where the additional GPU won't be a waste due to lack of core performance. We don't know yet, it will be a fun couple of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by linux4kix View Post

I am also We aren't at that stage yet, probably in the next month I will do the bringup for graphics card support and then do some testing. Most likely I will test with an RX 560 just because the power footprint of the RX480 is a bit much for me. My guess is also that the 550 and 560 is more around the range where the additional GPU won't be a waste due to lack of core performance. We don't know yet, it will be a fun couple of weeks.
                  That sounds great. I'm sure a lot of us are interested in seeing where the CPU/GPU bottleneck will appear.

Comment

I'd drop $500-$550 on this machine.

Would likely put it inside a Mini-ITX case with 4 hot swap drive bays, since there are 4 SATA ports. If I could get FreeBSD booting with a ZFS RAID10, then I'd try running bhyve VMs using the ARM instructions here: https://github.com/FreeBSD-UPB/freeb...on-ARM-systems

Comment

I know solidrun is a networking company, but I'm still confused why a board billed as a workstation has so dang many network ports

Comment

Working...
                      X