SolidRun ClearFog: A 16-Core ARM ITX Workstation Board Aiming For $500~750 USD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KellyClowers View Post
    I know solidrun is a networking company, but I'm still confused why a board billed as a workstation has so dang many network ports
    We are considering this a ready to deploy workstation. The idea is that the same hardware can be developed on as a workstation and the same for factor can be deployed to production. Plus the ports can be used for a plethora of options not just for development, but also for devops, and network administrators. Being able to test 100Gbe equipment from your workstation, or using various interconnect modules that would need an SFP or QSFP port. Additionally these are raw SERDES lanes brought out which allows for interesting test configurations like designating them as PCIe lanes and using an external PCIe cage. This is designed to be as flexible a solution as possible and allow pushing the boundaries of what can be developed for and tested regarding compute on the edge, clustering, data storage, and machine learning.

Comment

Just a little teaser for those paying attention. We have found that overclocking is an option (although of course not recommended nor supported under warranty) We are currently running benchmarks on board clocked up to 2.4Ghz and the DDR4 running at 3200Mtps. It has been stable over night. The numbers are looking quite nice

Comment

If you do pull it off, don't forget that software will be the next obstacle to cross.

From what i have read, most applications cannot compile for ARM without significant downstream patches. As a non-developer who compiles my own programs from upstream sources, this is a no-go.

ARM still needs that critical mass to get application developers ensuring that their code builds as-is on both x64 and ARM. And maybe even POWER.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
          If you do pull it off, don't forget that software will be the next obstacle to cross.

From what i have read, most applications cannot compile for ARM without significant downstream patches. As a non-developer who compiles my own programs from upstream sources, this is a no-go.

ARM still needs that critical mass to get application developers ensuring that their code builds as-is on both x64 and ARM. And maybe even POWER.
          Actually most major distributions fully support ARM64. There are projects which do not fully support ARM yet, and definitely lots of work to happen on optimizing programs better for ARM vs x86, however ARM software support is quite thorough at this point. This is part of the conversation that is currently happening in the community. ARM will never be a top tier supported platform until there are capable platforms that developers can use as their full time desktop / workstation without compromises. We feel that we finally have access to hardware that will make this a reality, and we are making sure to get developers boards at the best price possible.

Comment

Originally posted by linux4kix View Post

You can see the cache layout in the device-tree for the SOC. https://source.codeaurora.org/extern...a27f146439c528
            Thanks for the link
            Does exist already concrete dates, for this board?
            I am interested in red more about it, and possibly buy it

Comment

Working...
            X