Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
    To be fair, that's the safest way of doing firmware updates
    UEFI capsule works exactly the same (for board firmware updates), it sends the firmware to the UEFI, the machine will reboot and then the UEFI will do the update. You are just starting the process from the OS, anything dangerous is done by the UEFI alone with no OS loaded at all.

This is what the HP and Dell and whatnot firmware update windows applications did since years ago.

Only lazy dumbfucks like mobo manufacturers kept using the horribly unsafe shit applications actually flashing the board firmware from Windows, and on some boards that's still a possibility, but afaik it's thankfully dying out in favor of doing it through the UEFI interface only.
    Same as it took a way too long time to actually get the fuckers to drop the requirement to use a DOS boot disk (or even a floppy) to flash manually the firmware as the only alternative to Windows flashing, and this is still a thing for their server offering afaik. I don't even know if the more new Supermicro (which isn't a shit brand) have migrated to a non-stupid way of firmware updating.

Which is one of the reasons why Intel in their infinite Wisdom has decided that the CSM (the legacy boot module, to boot in BIOS mode) will go away in a few years. That way board manufacturers will either have to implement UEFI updates from inside the UEFI firmware itself, or through the capsules, as you won't be able to boot FreeDOS anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
      To be fair, that's the safest way of doing firmware updates -from the UEFI firmware update interface that is. There's always a larger possibility of a failed update from inside the OS because of the larger amount of code between the updater program and the writer module. Bugs happen.
      And that's exactly what LVFS does, it tells your firmware to update from the UEFI capsule the next time the system reboots. It never attempts an UEFI update from a running system.

Comment

Originally posted by Spam View Post
        Very few vendors are committed thus far. Most motherboard manufacturers are missing...
        It would be nice if ASUS/Gigabyte/MSI got on-board but there's also the potential for some big problems. I'm not sure I would want emerge -uv world or dnf -y update to install a new BIOS (or other firmware for that matter). There has been some bugs like https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1608242#c17 where my machine didn't even boot Linux after upgrading the BIOS.

Also pay attention to the news on other sites about how ASUS was serving signed malware to millions of users for years - malware which is right now on a very large percentage of ASUS Windows computers.. https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...ackdoor-hijack ..LVFS has the potential to be a major large-scale disaster. It really does. I am not saying it will be or that it is likely or that anything indicates that it is or will be. What I am saying is that LVFS is absolutely a single point of failure which could, if compromised, cause issues.

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post
          It would be nice if ASUS/Gigabyte/MSI got on-board but there's also the potential for some big problems. I'm not sure I would want emerge -uv world or dnf -y update to install a new BIOS (or other firmware for that matter). There has been some bugs like https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1608242#c17 where my machine didn't even boot Linux after upgrading the BIOS.
          That's not a bug of the LVFS but a firmware bug. Updating through LVFS does not make UEFI updates bug-free. Also afaik it does not happen automatically.

LVFS has the potential to be a major large-scale disaster.
          Nah, it's just distributing blobs from vendors, they don't sign themselves, so even if LVFS itself is compromised none can add malware on it (it would fail the signature check on flashing).

Now, if the vendor's own security is so fucking bad that they manage to get hacked and host malware signed with their own key on their own servers, then this can also be loaded on LVFS too, but at this point you can only blame the vendor.

Comment

LVFS is a great thing in my opinion and one of the areas where Linux is miles ahead of other OS's, I love being able to update firmware without running heaps of vendor software in the background as you would on windows.

I was quite surprised recently when I plugged an old mouse into a machine running Ubuntu and it promoted me to update the firmware on it.

Comment

FUJITSU (server mobos), anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post

Except they are only supporting a few z-series workstations currently. Users are wanting their Pro/Elite lineup supported.
                Just a matter of time for HP to officially support majority of consumer HP hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by nuetzel View Post
                  FUJITSU (server mobos), anyone?
                  According to LVFS vendor list, currently under testing

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

According to LVFS vendor list, currently under testing
                    Thank's for the hint!

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Nobody buys intel motherboards so it is the same what intel decides. CSM will stay forever, other manufactures are much smarter than intel.
                      Intel decides UEFI specification, and CSM will disappear from 2020 onward on both Intel and AMD boards. https://www.zdnet.com/article/intel-...pport-by-2020/

I guess you won't be able to clone your drives anymore.

Comment

Working...
                      X