Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASRock Rack EPYCD8-2T Makes For A Great Linux/BSD EPYC Workstation - 7-Way OS AMD 7351P Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teggs
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow
    Typo:
    'The Foederati Workstation. For the Barbarian in you.'

Leave a comment:

• pcxmac
    replied
    if only that were AM4.... I have an old X99 that spews AER errors like a mad dog, can't wait till a consumer AMD processor can handle 7 slots at least PCIEx8 in length each

Leave a comment:

• Yoshi
    replied
    Sounds reasonable. Digging at bit deeper, at least Gigabyte, MSI and ASRock have actually tested and qualified ECC modules. Asus has many many modules tested but you can't see if it's ECC or not without looking for specific part numbers of ecc modules.

If I would have to buy a new TR4 board, I would go for ASRock (again) or would try MSI. Gigabyte is just disappointing on TR4. The bios support is more or less non-existent and I really regret taking the gigabyte road on TR4.

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by Yoshi View Post
    I'm still not sure if ECC for TR is really a gamble. I've looked through all of the 15 available TR4 boards and EVERY board has support for ECC modules mentioned in the specifications table. Listed and tested in the QVL is a different story, but in general every vendor states support for ECC on the X399 chipset. Do you have an example where ECC isn't working on any specific X399 board?.
    If that's true, it sounds like the X399 board ECC support has improved considerably. As the links I posted illustrate, ECC support on X399 boards was at one time, spotty and inconsistent, leading to plenty of consumer confusion. Whether through firmware updates, or just better vendor support, it sounds like over time the situation has improved.

Leave a comment:

• pixo
    replied
    Someone needs to use this board + 10 Vega VII + a add-in board with at least 8 USB controllers to build 1 PC 40 Linux gamer monster.
    DRM Lease is fun. Only problem is that radeonsi does not work. But Vulkan via RADV does.

Leave a comment:

• Yoshi
    replied
    I'm still not sure if ECC for TR is really a gamble. I've looked through all of the 15 available TR4 boards and EVERY board has support for ECC modules mentioned in the specifications table. Listed and tested in the QVL is a different story, but in general every vendor states support for ECC on the X399 chipset. Do you have an example where ECC isn't working on any specific X399 board?

AM4 and Ryzen is really a different story, to be fair.

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I don't disagree there could be 65W parts; in fact I find it likely. What I'm disagreeing with is whether they're going to make 8-core Epycs in the future. AMD is really pushing multi-core pretty hard.
    Ok. But as I said earlier, AMD just this month, Feb 2019, released a bunch of new EPYC 3000 series chips that include a new 8c model, and an 4c/8t model, and a 4c/4t model. This active development of new 8 core and 4 core EPYC models makes your prediction appear unfounded.
    Last edited by torsionbar28; 28 February 2019, 02:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    ECC memory, mainly. AFAIK not officially supported on Ryzen or TR.
    Both CPU platforms support ECC, but, not all motherboards do.
    The fact they have a 7000 series 'big' EPYC for large servers, and a 3000 series 'small' EPYC for embedded, certainly leaves open the possibility of future 5000 series 'medium' models, with desktop/workstation oriented 65w and 95w TDP's.
    I don't disagree there could be 65W parts; in fact I find it likely. What I'm disagreeing with is whether they're going to make 8-core Epycs in the future. AMD is really pushing multi-core pretty hard.

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by Yoshi View Post
    Isn't this more a theoretical thing? I've got a 1st gen Threadripper (1950X) and afaik all TR4 boards support ECC, personally I've tested Gigabyte X399 Aorus Gaming 7 and ASRock X399 Taichi. Both have working ECC.
    There is lots of internet discussion about this. No, all TR boards do not support ECC. The official stance from AMD, is that for Ryzen and TR, the decision to support ECC is up to the individual board vendor. OTOH, with EPYC, it is a mandatory feature.

Plus there is the problem of compatibility. Even if a TR board supports ECC, the board manufacturer will often qualify only non-ECC DIMMS, so you are left to 'gamble' on an expensive DDR4-ECC purchase which may or may not work. I'm not interested in doing this.

See here: https://community.amd.com/thread/231484

And here: https://forums.servethehome.com/inde...cc-mode.19436/

Looks like you just happen to have two of the boards that do.
    Last edited by torsionbar28; 28 February 2019, 02:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Yoshi
    replied
    Isn't this more a theoretical thing? I've got a 1st gen Threadripper (1950X) and afaik all TR4 boards support ECC, personally I've tested Gigabyte X399 Aorus Gaming 7 and ASRock X399 Taichi. Both have working ECC.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X