Aquantia Announces Multi-Gig Ethernet Controllers, Coming Soon To ASUS Boards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    Cat5e is not certified to run 10g at *any* length. Certainly not anything close to 50 meters. You need Cat6 minimum for 50 meters, and Cat6a for the full 100m.
    I could not care less for any "certification", as my personal experience with different types of 10Gbase-T NICs and switches proved to me that I can run 10Gbase-T over a 50m long Cat5e cable without any packet loss at full speed. I even did the small investment of an extra 50m Cat5e cable just to try out this particular feature (before buying more 10Gbase-T equipment).

Comment

I am using one of these controllers, and was able to get 5Gig (iperf) with the cable that is running through the walls of my apartment. The apartment came pre-cabled, I had to terminate them myself. I don't know what the cable is rated for (5e, 6,...). The other side is a 10GBE with Microtik multi-gigabit SFP+ module.

Now we wait for affordable 5Gig switches.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
        I could not care less for any "certification", as my personal experience with different types of 10Gbase-T NICs and switches proved to me that I can run 10Gbase-T over a 50m long Cat5e cable without any packet loss at full speed. I even did the small investment of an extra 50m Cat5e cable just to try out this particular feature (before buying more 10Gbase-T equipment).
        Great. But that's not how industry works. There is a wide variation in the quality of cat5e cables. Good ones might to 10g to 50 meters. Crap ones might barely muster 1 meter. Hence the reason we have certifications and standards for these things.

Comment

Working...
        X