Coreboot 4.9 Released With 2,600+ Changes, Ports To 56 New Motherboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coreboot 4.9 Released With 2,600+ Changes, Ports To 56 New Motherboards

Phoronix: Coreboot 4.9 Released With 2,600+ Changes, Ports To 56 New Motherboards

The Coreboot folks are ending out 2018 with the release of version 4.9 that has 2,610 changes since their previous release just over a half-year ago...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Congrats to all new Coreboot first time authors! All 70 of them.
    The non-transparency of early boot code on x86 really needs to go the way of the Dodo.

I'll put the death of all non-transparent firmware on my Santa wish-list as well.
    It's almost Christmas after all.

Comment

So they removed support for more motherboards than they added support for.

Not good.

Comment

Does anybody know where the hardware support matrix went to? (supported chipsets, mainboards/devices, ...) I really liked that comprehensive table.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Not good.
          Almost none of the boards Coreboot supports in the first place are in any way modern. The boards left on the 4.8 branch can still be run off that version... probably.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Not good.
            I agree. But on the other hand, it's dubious that they would even boot with coreboot 4.8 (ie. the previous release). We need testers and ideally developers who make sure that their boards work on current master. Keeping boards in just for the optics ("coreboot includes support for 300 boards!") doesn't help anybody if they don't actually work, but it hurts efforts that make coreboot development more manageable.

We keep track of officially submitted success reports on https://www.coreboot.org/status/board-status.html. As you can see by all those red boxes, we have little insight into what can boot with coreboot that is at most one year old: they might just work, but we have no idea.

My plan for the next few months is to make the status submission simpler, but in the end, we will still rely on volunteers flashing the latest code onto their systems, with all the risk that brings that they need to recover the flash with external hardware.
            Last edited by pgeorgi; 21 December 2018, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X