No announcement yet.

does usb work on amd south bridge ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you load ohci and ehci. You plug in mouse and keybord. dmesg or lsusb+ /proc/interrupts can tell you everything you need to know. Or you get the patch or you install a recent kernel - like 2.6.27.8 or 9

Comment

My Biostar 780G/SB700 board with latest BIOS hasn't exhibited any USB problems (I have a mouse and a USB disk that I use for backup).

Comment

yeah, the kernel patch is only needed for boards without the bios fix.
        So if Biostar fixed the bios, you won't see any problems. Asrock didn't but the fix worked. And it seems that Gigabyte did not fix their bios too - which is pretty weak if you think about the price you have to pay for Gigabyte stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
          yeah, the kernel patch is only needed for boards without the bios fix.
          So if Biostar fixed the bios, you won't see any problems. Asrock didn't but the fix worked. And it seems that Gigabyte did not fix their bios too - which is pretty weak if you think about the price you have to pay for Gigabyte stuff.
          I have an even older ga-ma78gm-s2h board whose latest bio predates the initial bios of the other said gigabyte board, and I don't have any usb problems, and it runs pretty stable for me. As for the asrock brand, I've had trouble with an old 939Dual-SATA2 (random crashes, etc.) that I ended up having to replace a year later with a biostar, which is still running strong a couple of years later.

I think all of these mb manufacturers source the same cheap taiwanese parts anyway, and it's just your luck when they fail. Asrock, though, does release frequent bios updates so that's a plus, but that part alone doesn't make my purchase decision.

Comment

i just ordered a new board with nvidia 8200. i was thinking it was a bad egg but dont feel like going through all that again. and with nvidia ill have ahci hopefully, better usb, and tear free video playback. ill see how this goes.

matt

Comment

hm, strange that I am able to use ahci just fine ....

Comment

well i never really got far enough to really test the hard drive. i did hdparm -t /dev/sda, that was giving about 50 MB/sec. i consider that really slow for a new computer. my ancient pentium3 can still do 55 MB/sec, and my file sever with an old ide pci card can do between 60 and 70 MB/sec.

matt

Comment

hdparm -tT /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
                  Timing cached reads: 2012 MB in 2.00 seconds = 1006.25 MB/sec
                  Timing buffered disk reads: 246 MB in 3.00 seconds = 81.93 MB/sec

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                    hdparm -tT /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
                    Timing cached reads: 2012 MB in 2.00 seconds = 1006.25 MB/sec
                    Timing buffered disk reads: 246 MB in 3.00 seconds = 81.93 MB/sec
                    thats not bad at all. i didnt think it was possible with an amd system. oh well, too late now, the nvidia board is in the mail. i tried really hard for 4 weeks to get the gigabyte board with 780g/sb700 to work. i am done.

Comment

yeah, but you are blaming the wrong part. Gigabyte sold you crap,

Comment

Working...
                      X