No announcement yet.

Raptor Blackbird Micro-ATX POWER9 Motherboard Pre-Orders Open Up At $799 USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptor Blackbird Micro-ATX POWER9 Motherboard Pre-Orders Open Up At $799 USD

Phoronix: Raptor Blackbird Micro-ATX POWER9 Motherboard Pre-Orders Open Up At $799 USD

At the start of October, Raptor Computing Systems announced Blackbird as a lower-cost POWER9 motherboard built on a micro-ATX footprint. We now have the firm specs on this motherboard as well as the current pricing as the pre-order window has just opened...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wished they put a better webpage for that product, with more informative photos and diagrams of that motherboard. Right now looks like something from the nineties.

That HDMI connector is curious to me. Why not displayport? I thought you have to pay a license to the HDMI consortium to use that in a product, while DP was free?

Also, will it display any kind of 2D graphic interface, or is just for a text terminal output? What is the max resolution?

Comment

Even better, US$ 999 with a 4 core 3.2ghz (base) 3.8ghz (turbo) Power9 Sforza CPU

One could probably put together a basic system (
      ​​​​​16gb, SATA SSD, no 3d graphics) for slightly over US$ 1500, and a better one (32gb, Nvme SSD, entry level 3d graphics) for less than US$ 2000

Very tempting, IMHO

Comment

I am curious what real-world tasks could be done on this hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
          Damn near anything, as long as it's using FOSS software or the (admittedly fairly limited) selection of commercial software for Linux/Power. The hardware here is quite powerful.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
            Good question. The most interesting thing here will be GPU support. I just have this image of the fastest CPU around with barely functional graphics. More info on the hardware support would be grand. If there are good drivers for a variety of graphics cards it would make for a more viable platform.

If the developers are smart they will have a board flying to Phoronix right now for testing.

Comment

Welp... Just pre-ordered just now. Looking forward to seeing this ship.

Comment

Good to see people recognize the value in the PC form factor and infrastructure. It's an excellent way to enable developers to work with your product. I hope ATX-style boards become standard fare in the ARM and RISC-V evaluation board worlds as well.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

Good question. The most interesting thing here will be GPU support. I just have this image of the fastest CPU around with barely functional graphics. More info on the hardware support would be grand. If there are good drivers for a variety of graphics cards it would make for a more viable platform.

If the developers are smart they will have a board flying to Phoronix right now for testing.

Comment

Are usb so expensive? they could add 2 more usb port on rear, and have 2 usb 2.0 more on internal to be connected on case, the i/o is really poor
                    I'd like to see some test to know what integrated gpu can handle, hope phoronix could do some desktop test too, instead powerhorse numbers
                    Last edited by freespirit; 24 November 2018, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X