Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coreboot Support Taking Shape For Intel Icelake

Phoronix: Coreboot Support Taking Shape For Intel Icelake

Intel developers have been punctual in their bring-up of Icelake support within Coreboot...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wish there were support for Icelake on Coreboot on other boards than Chromebooks. Like desktop PC boards.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I wish there were support for Icelake on Coreboot on other boards than Chromebooks. Like desktop PC boards.
      I don't, the future of free hardware isn't x86 anyway. Either decent ARM boards or Power.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Icelake is the follow-on 10nm+ successor to Cannonlake and Whiskey/Amber/Coffee Lake hardware expected in 2019~2020.
        They have barely started to mass-produce Cannonlake at 10nm and they are already going to call this "10nm+"?
        The yields are probably still lower than when Broadwell at 14nm was released, so these "+" likely don't mean a thing anymore.

Looking forward to when they start calling some process 10nm++ which could be interpreted as 11nm lol

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          I don't, the future of free hardware isn't x86 anyway. Either decent ARM boards or Power.
          Yeah, that would be nice too. I want a computer that is open.
          But POWER have existed for a long time, and it doesn't seem to be gaining any traction on the desktop or laptop side. It seems its only for servers, with the only desktop actor being Raptor Engineering.
          ARM may gain more traction with some Chromebooks adapting it, and perhaps Apple will abandon x86 in favor of ARM.
          But so far it doesn't seem anyone is pushing ARM for the desktop.

But at least x86 is standardized with BIOS and UEFI. ARM is a mess with no standards and everything boots its own way.

Comment

But at least x86 is standardized with BIOS and UEFI. ARM is a mess with no standards and everything boots its own way.
            ARM is standardizing on UEFI+ACPI for server and a basic UEFI subset of features + ACPI or Device Tree for embedded devices, in its own boot specification https://www.cnx-software.com/2018/08...edded-systems/

This is of course only valid for devices where the OEM wants the device to be able to boot generic firmware images. Like for example Libre Computer's boards.

Comment

ARM is standardizing on UEFI+ACPI for server and a basic UEFI subset of features + ACPI or Device Tree for embedded devices, in its own boot specification https://www.cnx-software.com/2018/08...edded-systems/

This is of course only valid for devices where the OEM wants the device to be able to boot generic firmware images. Like for example Libre Computer's boards.
              We've heard for years about UEFI and ACPI on ARM. In the real world its all just a big mess.

Comment

We've heard for years about UEFI and ACPI on ARM. In the real world its all just a big mess.
                You have heard for the server standard perhaps.

The standard for the ARM embedded devices is a new thing.

Comment

You have heard for the server standard perhaps.

The standard for the ARM embedded devices is a new thing.
                  Hmm, yes I think you're right. I think I've heard it for server standard.

Comment

Originally posted by bofh80

What about RISC-V ?
                    Too soon to see where it is headed, it will need a lot of time to get the ball rolling and maybe see performance systems made out of it.

It might very well remain in the microcontroller world for decades like ARM did, or it may become some niche thing like MIPS. Too many variables. Power and ARM aren't going away and have already decent performance level to be used now.

Comment

Working...
                    X