• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

also, i am using a 4850e.

/me hates energy wasting hot cpu's

Comment

Originally posted by mattmatteh View Post
      i have the same board. read my other post. but having random lock ups with any amount of ram (2, 4, 6, 8). tried to reproduce and that just leaves me more puzzled.

deanjo, i am using the IGP. why would that matter ?

matt

Because using the IGP means it reserves ram for use as video memory, thus not being available for system memory.

Comment

Very interesting! The cores heated up by 10-15C each. Well within reasonable bounds for the deltas in temperature, it seems to me.

BTW, I have an idea for folks that want to benchmark their linux systems in way that's potentially scientifically beneficial (instead of the usual just for kicks/fun over-clocking). That's to build and then benchmark multithreaded runs of NASA's Model E public domain climate modeling code (and perhaps help make the code --and climate modeling itself-- better over time! Disclaimer: I don't work for NASA. I got interested in the subject of climate modeling as I started learning about global warming in a non-professional personal capacity.)

The code is available on NASA's website (google "nasa model e"); it should be fairly easily compilable using the G95 Fortran compiler after some initial tweaking and setting up. I did it about a year ago (on my now rather old Centrino laptop running... Kanotix ) If I recall correctly, it allows for multithreading fairly easily. If I find the time, I'll post a detailed thread on this in a couple of weeks in the context of developing new batteries of linux benchmarking suites.

ps: I'm still utterly confused which mobo to buy to replace the older Asus M2V mobo (for some reason, it only recognizes one DIMM slot now, limiting me to single channel 2GB total RAM, wasting my investment in the somewhat fancy G.Skill 4GB RAM I bought recently ) on my desktop (which now has a 4600+ X2; I will likely upgrade it to a phenom X4 in short order.) Mattmateh, do you still discourage getting the GPM-DS2H board by Gigabyte?

Comment

Originally posted by matt8 View Post
          Very interesting! The cores heated up by 10-15C each. Well within reasonable bounds for the deltas in temperature, it seems to me.

BTW, I have an idea for folks that want to benchmark their linux systems in way that's potentially scientifically beneficial (instead of the usual just for kicks/fun over-clocking). That's to build and then benchmark multithreaded runs of NASA's Model E public domain climate modeling code (and perhaps help make the code --and climate modeling itself-- better over time! Disclaimer: I don't work for NASA. I got interested in the subject of climate modeling as I started learning about global warming in a non-professional personal capacity.)

The code is available on NASA's website (google "nasa model e"); it should be fairly easily compilable using the G95 Fortran compiler after some initial tweaking and setting up. I did it about a year ago (on my now rather old Centrino laptop running... Kanotix ) If I recall correctly, it allows for multithreading fairly easily. If I find the time, I'll post a detailed thread on this in a couple of weeks in the context of developing new batteries of linux benchmarking suites.

ps: I'm still utterly confused which mobo to buy to replace the older Asus M2V mobo (for some reason, it only recognizes one DIMM slot now, limiting me to single channel 2GB total RAM, wasting my investment in the somewhat fancy G.Skill 4GB RAM I bought recently ) on my desktop (which now has a 4600+ X2; I will likely upgrade it to a phenom X4 in short order.) Mattmateh, do you still discourage getting the GPM-DS2H board by Gigabyte?
          /me senses a new PTS benchmark module.

Comment

Originally posted by matt8 View Post
            Mattmateh, do you still discourage getting the GPM-DS2H board by Gigabyte?
            someone on the gentoo forums said they have no problems with the board. i am not sure if i should ask gigabyte for a replacement or get a different brand with the same 780g or find an nvidia based board.

does seem that gigabyte indeed has some quality control issues

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Because using the IGP means it reserves ram for use as video memory, thus not being available for system memory.
              not my thread, but ill answer the original question, yes i am using the integrated graphics. at first i let it have the max. i was hoping to use 8GB ram with this board so it wouldnt matter.

Comment

I had this same problem. The solution was a stupid simple setting in the BIOS to allow for advanced memory features, or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by EmbraceUnity View Post
                  I had this same problem. The solution was a stupid simple setting in the BIOS to allow for advanced memory features, or something like that.
                  So you can use full 4Gb or more memory whit your own board? The GA-MA78GPM-DS2H?

Can you check which setting it is as I would love to be able to use the full 4Gb and others who might want to use more than that like 8Gb this one guy wants.

About the heat stuff. I don't see this board having any huge heat problems.

I myself use the IGP and have a idle temperature off 45C and it reaches about 70-75 in full Prime95 4threads maximum heat whit the northbridge(using the board straight from package). Though I do have a 120mm fan at 800rpm or such blowing from the PCI/PCI-E slots sideways up against the northbridge, mossfets and cpu.
                  System temperature is in idle 40C and after a few hours torture can reach to almost 50C but doesn't really climb from there.
                  The cpu the Phenom X4 9750 [email protected] idle whit 40C and reaches about 59C in full-load whit the AMD orginal heatsink/fan(it gets cool air directly from oustide the case though).
                  I have only 1 80mm fan at 1200-1600rpm getting air straight from oustide case additionally from the cpu-fan. (blows toward the PCI/PCI-E area and the 120mm fan there directing the air upward to better use)

I have a Lian-Li PC-A01B case which is kinda small and gets hot and in addition I've used silencing stuff inside the case so any other case will get alot lower ambient temperatures!
                  Last edited by Nighthog; 17 December 2008, 09:45 AM.

Comment

I'm not really sure how kernels are configured for 64bit (haven't a 64 bit cpu myself) but higmem settings may have to be adjusted. try:

cat /boot/config | grep HIGHMEM
                    # CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM is not set
                    CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y
                    # CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G is not set
                    CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y

I only have 1gb ram so i have disabled highmem support but it can be enabled for 4gb or 64gb ram. Maybe it's only enabled for using 4gb and not up to 64 gb.

Comment

Originally posted by mattmatteh View Post
                      i have an infrared laser temperature gun (borrowed from friend and is nothing fancy).

southbridge 95 F
                      northbridge 104 F
                      ram 88 F
                      cpu 80 F (while writing this), (cpu has larger zalman, better colling and difficult to see cpu area)
                      highest choke temperature 97 F

there is nothing in there that is hot to the touch and has never seemed hot. that means its really cool, or the heatsinks are not working ?

here is the report from sensors, i have no idea what this all means.

k8temp-pci-00c3
                      Adapter: PCI adapter
                      Core0 Temp:
                      +3 C
                      Core0 Temp:
                      -7 C
                      Core1 Temp:
                      +6 C
                      Core1 Temp:
                      +0 C

it8718-isa-0228
                      Adapter: ISA adapter
                      in0: +1.20 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
                      in1: +1.95 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
                      in2: +3.28 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
                      in3: +2.94 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
                      in4: +3.09 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
                      in5: +3.15 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
                      in6: +4.08 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V) ALARM
                      in7: +0.00 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V) ALARM
                      in8: +3.14 V
                      fan1: 940 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
                      fan2: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
                      fan3: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
                      fan4: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
                      temp1: +30 C (low = +127 C, high = +127 C) sensor = thermistor
                      temp2: +25 C (low = +127 C, high = +127 C) sensor = diode
                      temp3: +28 C (low = +127 C, high = +127 C) sensor = thermistor
                      vid: +1.550 V

noose ~ #
                      Northbridge is on the cpu. Southbridge is on the video chip.
                      k8temp doesn't work with that chipset. It uses different temp monitor than K8 barcelona.
                      You use some of the ram for intgrated video. Some can get lopped off for bios shadowing as well.
                      Since the video card is onobard and it's bios is a small segement of the system bios shadowing
                      is going to eat a ton of ram. Linux reports 3.6gb when i run 256mb video memory and 3.4 gb when I
                      run 512m video memory. That's alot of ram so I'm not really concerned with it.
                      Last edited by Hephasteus; 09 February 2009, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X