X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
    running Mali 4XX-series graphics means it'll never be truly "libre"
    Why not? AFAIK they are cooperating with BayLibre to make this a reality:
    At Kernel Recipes this year, BayLibre was proud to partner with the Libre Computer Project to give away around 30 “Le Potato” boards to attendees.  Kernel Recipes is already known for its throw microphone, but this year each speaker threw a “Le Potato” board at the audience. For those who received the board, pre-built images (to […]

During the ELC Showcase event, BayLibre showed, among other demos, Quake III Arena running fully accelerated on an Odroid-C2 powered by the Amlogic S905 SoC. Quake 3 Arena running on mainline Linux 4.10 on Amlogic S905 SoC at #lfelc 1080p 60fps ! pic.twitter.com/va5BeuXM0L — Neil Armstrong (@Superna9999) 23 février 2017 This particular demo was running […]

We are happy to announce the Linux v4.12 release on July the 2nd. Baylibre is proud to have contributed with the Linux Kernel community to this new version.

http://linux-meson.com/doku.php (see for example all the "WIP"s and even the "Yes" for 3D Acceleration)

Comment

Originally posted by V10lator View Post
      Why not? AFAIK they are cooperating with BayLibre to make this a reality:
      I was referring to how it still uses proprietary binary blobs similarly to Nvidia's GPUs. Hence the use of "truly libre" rather than "libre in the sence most people understand it".

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
        Not sure if the Pi Zero is the right point of comparison for this considering it's still the size of a Model B board.
        The photos Michael used are of the original model. This new campaign is for shrunk down versions that are indeed more comparable to a Pie Zero

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post
          64 bit cores that you can actually run at 64 bit? Sounds great.
          And how do you plan to gain from those 64bits, given 512MiBs of memory? Sounds more like a waste than anything.

Comment

Originally posted by m132 View Post
            Are Pi's ports fake?
            No, but they're mini HDMI and micro USB rather the the full-size equivalents. There's no LAN on a Pi Zero either.
            Last edited by Slithery; 12 October 2018, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post
              There is a 16MB SPI flash chip which it can boot off of (or load a bootloader from). I'm not sure if that's necessary to be programmed to get something other than eMMC to boot. I've asked a question on the kickstarter page for it.
              Even 16Mbits would be enough to store the whole kernel. U-boot + SPL can be configured to produce a < 500 kB binary. Without U-Boot it can be smaller. You can easily fit a headless Linux in 3,5 MB when using xz compression. Maybe even include busybox and init. This is with all drivers. If you compile extra drivers (everything except mmc and filesystem) as modules, it's gonna be easy.

Comment

It's cheap because it's Mali.

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post

And how do you plan to gain from those 64bits, given 512MiBs of memory? Sounds more like a waste than anything.
                  There are use cases that would benefit from 64 bit ops over 32 bit. Apps that moves data around in memory a lot would benefit. One app that I'm using that does this a lot is the Mycroft voice app. I'd go with 1G of memory every time over 512M.

Comment

La Frite is a low-end offering with their 512MB model shipping for just $5 USD or the 1GB version for $10... In other words, aimed squarely at the Raspberry Pi Zero and intended for IoT use-cases and other purposes.
                    In other words this sounds like - if they ship board without memory.price would be $0.99
                    Last edited by dungeon; 12 October 2018, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Hello La Frite! This is perfect. I have been looking for a cheap lab-board with NOR-flash. I hope they don't clutter it with bad crap-mandatory firmware blobs.

Comment

Working...
                      X