bad gigabyte board or bad ram ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad gigabyte board or bad ram ?

i just got a new gigabyte ga78gpm-ds2h board and got gentoo installed. thought everything was ok, but have been getting random lock ups, even during boot.

here is more detail about that: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-716353.html
    sorry about the cross post, but think i am at the point now where i need to figure out a hardware problem.

i think i have a bad board or bad ram. i am not sure how to go about determining that. any suggestions ?

thanks
    matt

Originally posted by mattmatteh View Post
    i just got a new gigabyte ga78gpm-ds2h board and got gentoo installed. thought everything was ok, but have been getting random lock ups, even during boot.

here is more detail about that: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-716353.html
    sorry about the cross post, but think i am at the point now where i need to figure out a hardware problem.

i think i have a bad board or bad ram. i am not sure how to go about determining that. any suggestions ?

thanks
    matt
    Try one chip at a time and run memtest.

Comment

As deanjo said, memtest all chips, one at a time. On gentoo, keyword the latest memtest86+ version:

echo "sys-apps/memtest86+" /etc/portage/package.keywords

emerge it (emerge sys-apps/memtest86+) and add a boot entry for it (the ebuild will give you a grub entry to use, but adjust the "root (hdN,N)" entry.)

Comment

When you use OC ram, then raise RAM voltage. Usually written on em.

Comment

I'm running a gigabyte board and in order to get my ram running at 1066mhz at dual channel I had to pump up the voltage and break it in. It crashed for a while but after a few months the problem up and disappeared. Note that it seems gigabyte cheaps out on the voltage there, because I can't even get my ram to 2.2v like it says on the chip. only 2.1v... It's running fine these days though.

Comment

judging by your post over there at the gentoo forums though there may be a hardware issue so who knows what will happen if you start messing with voltages... but hey, why not fry everything and make gigabyte replace it all till it works

Comment

so far on stick 2 in slot one has not locked up, 22 hours.
              i have 4 * 2GB sticks of kingston 1.8v, 6-6-6-?.

i see if i can get 48+ hours with out locking up and memtest each stick.

thank
              matt

Comment

it seems that the board is POS. i can not get any consistant results. thought i had bad ram, but can not isolate it. and usb dont really work. it just randomly stops.

Comment

now that i am returning the POS gigabyte board i need to get something else now.

i am thinking about perhaps the same 780g and sb700 but different brand. what i dont like is the slow hard drive, flakey usb, video tearing and minor stuttering.

or ditch amd and go with an nvidia based board. i was thinking nvidia 750a or 8200. i havent looked at the linux support for nvidia yet. would that either of those have better usb, sata/ahci, video playback ?

thanks
                  matt

Comment

Originally posted by mattmatteh View Post
                    or ditch amd and go with an nvidia based board. i was thinking nvidia 750a or 8200. i havent looked at the linux support for nvidia yet. would that either of those have better usb, sata/ahci, video playback ?

thanks
                    matt
                    Yes to all of the above.

Comment

Working...
                    X