Intel Releases New BSD-Licensed Open-Source Firmware Implementation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Releases New BSD-Licensed Open-Source Firmware Implementation

Phoronix: Intel Releases New BSD-Licensed Open-Source Firmware Implementation

At the European Open-Source Firmware Conference happening this week in Erlangen, Intel announced the open-source "Slimbootloader" (also referred to as Slim Bootloader) project that is quite exciting...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

AMD, maybe it's time to support Coreboot on your platforms?
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
      AMD, maybe it's time to support Coreboot on your platforms?
      Hear hear!

Comment

Wait, isn't that an awesome news? How many blobs are still needing when this will reach more processors ?

Comment

Originally posted by Flaburgan View Post
          Wait, isn't that an awesome news? How many blobs are still needing when this will reach more processors ?
          It's still a "shimboot" around the FSP and ME blobs, that's probably why there isn't too much interest. Also worthless for machines already locked with vendor keys (Boot Guard), etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Flaburgan View Post
            All the ones needed now, they still clearly state that the FSP (the blob doing all the leg work) is required https://slimbootloader.github.io/dev...uides/fsp.html

On coreboot mailing list I've seen a few times mention that the FSP is smart enough to basically just load an u-boot on its own, with no need for Coreboot at all.

This bootloader could be interesting only if you are an OEM that wants to make a UEFI firmware without having to resort to the usual suspects (AMI, Insyde to name a few), so overall, meh.

Comment

Originally posted by madscientist159 View Post

It's still a "shimboot" around the FSP and ME blobs, that's probably why there isn't too much interest. Also worthless for machines already locked with vendor keys (Boot Guard), etc.
              There is one reason it could be good... if one or more vendors decide to lock boot guard to this or something based on it rather than something with more lines of code for bugs and security vulnerabilities to hide in.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                There is one reason it could be good... if one or more vendors decide to lock boot guard to this or something based on it rather than something with more lines of code for bugs and security vulnerabilities to hide in.
                Their definition of "slim" is.. different. This thing is still a UEFI firmware, so it's not really as light nor as modern as LinuxBoot for example.

Comment

Originally posted by madscientist159 View Post

How some people expect intel to develop ME for spying and then to make it open ofc no! They are just trying to say we have something open

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Their definition of "slim" is.. different. This thing is still a UEFI firmware, so it's not really as light nor as modern as LinuxBoot for example.
                    I never said it met my definition of "slim". I just said that, if it's slim-er than what would otherwise be locked into pre-built PCs, there might be some small amount of good to come out of it.

Comment

Working...
                    X