Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Releases New BSD-Licensed Open-Source Firmware Implementation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Intel Releases New BSD-Licensed Open-Source Firmware Implementation

    Phoronix: Intel Releases New BSD-Licensed Open-Source Firmware Implementation

    At the European Open-Source Firmware Conference happening this week in Erlangen, Intel announced the open-source "Slimbootloader" (also referred to as Slim Bootloader) project that is quite exciting...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Slimbootloader

  • #2
    AMD, maybe it's time to support Coreboot on your platforms?
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
      AMD, maybe it's time to support Coreboot on your platforms?
      Hear hear!

      Comment


      • #4
        Wait, isn't that an awesome news? How many blobs are still needing when this will reach more processors ?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Flaburgan View Post
          Wait, isn't that an awesome news? How many blobs are still needing when this will reach more processors ?
          It's still a "shimboot" around the FSP and ME blobs, that's probably why there isn't too much interest. Also worthless for machines already locked with vendor keys (Boot Guard), etc.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Flaburgan View Post
            Wait, isn't that an awesome news? How many blobs are still needing when this will reach more processors ?
            All the ones needed now, they still clearly state that the FSP (the blob doing all the leg work) is required https://slimbootloader.github.io/dev...uides/fsp.html

            On coreboot mailing list I've seen a few times mention that the FSP is smart enough to basically just load an u-boot on its own, with no need for Coreboot at all.

            This bootloader could be interesting only if you are an OEM that wants to make a UEFI firmware without having to resort to the usual suspects (AMI, Insyde to name a few), so overall, meh.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by madscientist159 View Post

              It's still a "shimboot" around the FSP and ME blobs, that's probably why there isn't too much interest. Also worthless for machines already locked with vendor keys (Boot Guard), etc.
              There is one reason it could be good... if one or more vendors decide to lock boot guard to this or something based on it rather than something with more lines of code for bugs and security vulnerabilities to hide in.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                There is one reason it could be good... if one or more vendors decide to lock boot guard to this or something based on it rather than something with more lines of code for bugs and security vulnerabilities to hide in.
                Their definition of "slim" is.. different. This thing is still a UEFI firmware, so it's not really as light nor as modern as LinuxBoot for example.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by madscientist159 View Post

                  It's still a "shimboot" around the FSP and ME blobs, that's probably why there isn't too much interest. Also worthless for machines already locked with vendor keys (Boot Guard), etc.
                  How some people expect intel to develop ME for spying and then to make it open ofc no! They are just trying to say we have something open

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Their definition of "slim" is.. different. This thing is still a UEFI firmware, so it's not really as light nor as modern as LinuxBoot for example.
                    I never said it met my definition of "slim". I just said that, if it's slim-er than what would otherwise be locked into pre-built PCs, there might be some small amount of good to come out of it.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X