• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

milkylainen
    What kind of specs are you looking for?

Cubieboard, Cubieboard 2, Cubietruck
    Orange Pi i96 / 2G IoT
    MIPS Creator CI20 (beware, uses MLC NAND)
    a lot of OpenWrt supported routers also have NAND flash (typically 128 MiB)

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
      Michael,
      It would be interesting to test, the RockPro64
      i test the boards I am sent out and haven't received any offers yet about the RockPro64.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
        milkylainen
        What kind of specs are you looking for?

Cubieboard, Cubieboard 2, Cubietruck
        Orange Pi i96 / 2G IoT
        MIPS Creator CI20 (beware, uses MLC NAND)
        a lot of OpenWrt supported routers also have NAND flash (typically 128 MiB)
        Simple, cheap, basic I/O, USB, Ethernet (non-esoteric WiFi is a bonus).
        SLC NAND or LB/SPI NOR. Mem and Storage is usually enough on included boards 256M+ / 64M+

Linux support without separate branch. Ie, dts description can be out of tree.
        But vanilla Linux need to support the board with little to no modification of drivers.
        I don't need to get a GPU up and running.

I intend to use it as an I/O training board with minimal resources. Not: "Look, you can install Ubuntu with 4G RAM".

Comment

i would like to see a cortex a55 board honestly, it should be about time for a raspberry pi 4 with a 55 gigabit and usb3

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
            i would like to see a cortex a55 board honestly, it should be about time for a raspberry pi 4 with a 55 gigabit and usb3
            Raspberry is already perfectly fine for schools that teach tinkering with the board. It's actually almost too powerful. You don't need gigabit speed for anything. 100 Mbps LAN can even stream h265 4k video. It also leaves some ethernet cable wires free for POE. There are no useful SBC powered USB3 dongles that dont work in USB2 mode.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
              There are no useful SBC powered USB3 dongles that dont work in USB2 mode.
              I think that the power delivery capabilities of USB3 would be nice to have in some cases: I have tried to power an SSD in a SATA to USB converter from a Raspberry PI, and at start-up it has drawn so much current that the Raspberry PI has been resetting itself. I ended up using a powered USB hub between the Raspberry PI and the USB to SATA converter.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
                Simple, cheap, basic I/O, USB, Ethernet (non-esoteric WiFi is a bonus).
                I guess the Cubietruck would fit the bill then. However it is rather old and more expensive than similarly equipped boards.
                Slightly less expensive but without wifi there is the A20-OLinuXino-LIME2-n8GB.

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
                  I think everyone would like a Pi 4 with upgraded SoC, with faster CPUs and [significantly] faster GPU.

It's time that this low-end SoC family moved to a tighter node than 40nm. 28nm would be the obvious next step. For cost reasons, I don't see them going to 16nm or lower.

I guess we will find out in the first half of next year.

Comment

Originally posted by sykobee View Post

I think everyone would like a Pi 4 with upgraded SoC, with faster CPUs and [significantly] faster GPU.

It's time that this low-end SoC family moved to a tighter node than 40nm. 28nm would be the obvious next step. For cost reasons, I don't see them going to 16nm or lower.

I guess we will find out in the first half of next year.
                    Eben has already stated that there won't be a major Pi update for awhile.

He said research shows moving to the next node type won't fit in the Pi's price pure and simple.

Also noted was he doesn't expect the pricing for that node type to go down anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by zoltanp View Post
                      I think that the power delivery capabilities of USB3 would be nice to have in some cases: I have tried to power an SSD in a SATA to USB converter from a Raspberry PI, and at start-up it has drawn so much current that the Raspberry PI has been resetting itself.
                      Raspberry Pi in its current form is still limited by its power circuit. It can only receive up to 2.5A (I think) on its micro USB port and is even more limited on its USB output.
                      In the current state of the affair you would need a separate power circuits that bypasses Pi's powerchip and directly feeds into the +5V pins (lots of "micro UPS" for Pi tend to fit this bill), and also you might want to feed your peripheral from that pin too (usually most of such peripherals have a Y splitted cable, with one true USB to plug into the computer, and one extra power-only USB plug for extra power, just solder pins to the later).

What would a hypothetical Pi4 needs is USB-C for powering with a more modern chip that supports more input power.
                      That would solve most current power problems, but at the cost of added complexity, more modern (and thus expensive parts) and also rely on a much more recent connector for which the target audience (schools, week-end hobbyist, etc.) might not already have 20 different laying around (as opposed to hard core geeks).

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                      There are no useful SBC powered USB3 dongles that dont work in USB2 mode.
                      On the other hand, some of them would benefit from the added USB3 bandwidth.

Storage is an example, it could be both faster, and could be a bit simpler (using UAS mode instead of Bulk mode, not all USB2 chip can manage UAS mode as it only became official standard with USB3, and Pi's USB core is one of those who can't) - UAS makes some things much simpler (passing SCSI command through : SMART, TRIM, etc.)

Also remember that Wifi and Network are on the same USB2 bus. They are eating aways the limited bandwidth.

So having an USB3 bus on an upcoming Pi4 would actually be helpful in this regard. (e.g.: for use case like small fileserver. It could help a little bit over all performance, although it's already okay as a "network connected USB key")

(I predict a 2x USB3 and 2x USB2 layout, with the two extra USB3 lanes coming out of the hub chip instead wired into the pure-USB3 Network and Wifi, so the whole thing could work on a 4x way hub instead of 6x)

But again this comes at cost of extra hardware.

And remember that Raspberry Pi's absolute topmost priority is being bloody chip and as widely available as possible to build a ginormous community (that even week-end hobbyists can easily google around to solution to problems).

So Raspberry Pi 4 will only happen at a point of time where making a Raspberry Pi 4 doesn't cost more than the price at which all previous models have been selling.

Comment

Working...
                      X