Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coreboot Git Lands Support For Several More Google Chromebooks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Coreboot Git Lands Support For Several More Google Chromebooks

    Phoronix: Coreboot Git Lands Support For Several More Google Chromebooks

    Several Chromebooks now have upstream support for Coreboot...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...eboot-Git-More

  • #2
    Does anyone know of a site which maintains a table of Chrome Books fully supported by GNU/Linux and Coreboot? Ideally with instructions on how to get a popular distro installed.

    I'd love to run one of these but I don't have the time to figure out which are fully supported and how to get it working with minimal fuss.

    Comment


    • #3
      Looking to retask my Samsung XE303C12 Exynos based Chromebook. (hardware ID: SNOW)

      Google is going to EOL support for ChromeOS for that model next year. It's a 2012 era Chromebook, but it runs really well and has held up beautifully.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
        Does anyone know of a site which maintains a table of Chrome Books fully supported by GNU/Linux and Coreboot? Ideally with instructions on how to get a popular distro installed.

        I'd love to run one of these but I don't have the time to figure out which are fully supported and how to get it working with minimal fuss.
        You mean like coreboot.org/chromebooks?

        Yes, I've heard of such a place.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
          Does anyone know of a site which maintains a table of Chrome Books fully supported by GNU/Linux and Coreboot? Ideally with instructions on how to get a popular distro installed.

          I'd love to run one of these but I don't have the time to figure out which are fully supported and how to get it working with minimal fuss.
          This site for a script that enables the "legacy boot" (aka BIOS boot) in the stock ChromeOS Coreboot so you can boot a distro, or it replaces it with a custom Coreboot that has UEFI support too https://mrchromebox.tech/#home

          Best distro for Chromebooks is GalliumOS (Ubuntu derivative, dedicated to Chromebooks) that includes any custom driver or hack needed to operate a chromebook as soon as possible https://galliumos.org/

          For support in your favourite distro I don't know and you will probably need to google for each specific model.

          Comment


          • #6
            vbullettin is blocking a post for cybertraveler above

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              This site for a script that enables the "legacy boot" (aka BIOS boot) in the stock ChromeOS Coreboot so you can boot a distro, or it replaces it with a custom Coreboot that has UEFI support too https://mrchromebox.tech/#home
              Was a few years ago I did this last time and back then I had never heard about mrchromebox and used https://johnlewis.ie/ instead, seems like their coreboot images are pretty much the same or am I missing something?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by johanb View Post
                Was a few years ago I did this last time and back then I had never heard about mrchromebox and used https://johnlewis.ie/ instead, seems like their coreboot images are pretty much the same or am I missing something?
                Afaik mrchromebook supports more devices and also provides a UEFI "full ROM" for pretty much everything (which allows to run Windows too).
                https://mrchromebox.tech/#devices
                https://johnlewis.ie/custom-chromebo.../rom-download/

                Plus it has a script that automates installation and setup https://mrchromebox.tech/#fwscript .
                And a script that automates installation of Kodi in chromebook/boxes https://mrchromebox.tech/#kodi

                I quite frankly don't see the point of all this, as in most cases Chromebook hardware sucks, and if I get a chromebook I'd rather use its ability to run Android apps https://sites.google.com/a/chromium....g-android-apps

                Comment


                • #9
                  unapproved post for johanb because vbullettin is trash. Can't there be some kind of whitelist for this stupid antispam functionality?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

                    This site for a script that enables the "legacy boot" (aka BIOS boot) in the stock ChromeOS Coreboot so you can boot a distro, or it replaces it with a custom Coreboot that has UEFI support too https://mrchromebox.tech/#home

                    Best distro for Chromebooks is GalliumOS (Ubuntu derivative, dedicated to Chromebooks) that includes any custom driver or hack needed to operate a chromebook as soon as possible https://galliumos.org/

                    For support in your favourite distro I don't know and you will probably need to google for each specific model.
                    GalliumOS is for Intel only Chromebooks unfortunately. No one I am aware of is creating new firmware for ARM Chromebooks.

                    Short of copying a bunch of junk from a SD card, it looks like Crouton to extend the life.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X