Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Older ASUS Board Now Works With Coreboot, Can Be Found Refurbished $50~70

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Older ASUS Board Now Works With Coreboot, Can Be Found Refurbished $50~70

Phoronix: Another Older ASUS Board Now Works With Coreboot, Can Be Found Refurbished $50~70

The ASUS P8H61-M PRO is now the latest motherboard working with mainline Coreboot...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Intel develops TianoCore on GitHub.
    My next computer will be an Intel, it will not be an AMD.

AMD need to step up their game. Get rid of proprietary firmware and binary blobs, and make more open source and publish more documentation.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

AMD need to step up their game. Get rid of proprietary firmware and binary blobs, and make more open source and publish more documentation.
      Enjoy your Management Engine

Comment

Are you aware that this is just the upstream used by UEFI firmware vendors? (Phoenix, American Megatrends, Insyde, and others, also technically by Coreboot)

You don't and can't know (well technically you can to some extent if you are a badass and can analyze them for bugs) what was the source they took, how many years it is outdated from upstream, and what changes they made to it.

Also, the Intel Management Engine, aka the Hardware Backdoor, does not use the firmware from that repository, its blobs are compiled in secret by Intel from secret source code developed in secrecy.

This is like saying you will buy PS4 because their upstream is FreeBSD which is opensource.

(and I'm not saying there is anything wrong in buying the PS4 per-se, it's just the reason that makes no sense)

Comment

Actually, as far as I have seen, newer Intel systems supported by coreboot have more blobs, and Intel does not seem to want to remove them.

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post

Enjoy your Management Engine
            Enjoy your PSP. At least with Intel ME, its partially removable, and there is a kill bit as ordered by the US Government. AMD PSP on die, and cannot be disabled as it is needed to enable the x86 cores.

So I think I am going with intel, specifically a motherboard and chip I've researched that works with me_cleaner.

Comment

Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post
              Enjoy your PSP. At least with Intel ME, its partially removable, and there is a kill bit as ordered by the US Government.
              AMD PSP can be isolated by using a UEFI option.

AMD PSP on die, and cannot be disabled as it is needed to enable the x86 cores.
              Intel ME is in the chipset, and cannot be truly disabled either for the same reason. You can at most isolate it by removing its modules, or using that switch.

So I think I am going with intel, specifically a motherboard and chip I've researched that works with me_cleaner.
              This is a case of "pick your poison" I guess as there is no clear winner.

If you go the Intel route make sure you got a SPI flash programmer and possibly a 1.8V adapter to work with it on low-power SPI chips (in case the one on your board is low-power).

Also having hot air smd rework station does not hurt, as in many cases you can't flash them while soldered on the board with just a SOIC clip.

Comment

Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post
                Enjoy your PSP. At least with Intel ME, its partially removable, and there is a kill bit as ordered by the US Government. AMD PSP on die, and cannot be disabled as it is needed to enable the x86 cores.

You seem to be under impression that I'm suggesting AMD as a solution for ME and that's not the case.

While me_cleaner is a useful tool it might void your warranty (depending on your location - whether the EU protections against such warranty terms apply to you) and it is a solution for a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place. AMD refusing open-souring PSP firmware is one of the gripes I have with them too.

There still is a semi-competitive third player for x86 designs in the form of Zhaoxin. While the details of their platform are scarce they might be interesting to watch especially if they hit their targets for upcoming generations. Intel seems to have ran out of steam while constantly rehashing Skylake, or Sandy Bridge depending how you look at it, and AMD has only recently caught up to them. The situation is looking interesting especially considering ARM cores slowly trying to compete in this space as well.

Comment

This is amazing news. I remember Ars Technica doing a piece that Intel's last major generation (compared to the previous) was Ivy Bridge (the generation right after Sandy Bridge). Unfortunately, I cannot find the article. So, I consider the next Intel coreboot milestone, which will be supporting Ivy Bridge, to be a MASSIVE and extremely useful one. Way to go coreboot team!

Comment

Or they can ignore the 0.0000000000000001% open source elitist customer base and get a lot of money from the rest. I wonder which one they'd choose.

Comment

Working...
                    X