Intel Core i7 and X58 experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starclopsofish View Post
    Which motherboard are you using? If you could give Linux a whirl on it, that would be awesome.
    I have the ASUS P6T Deluxe - I'll try installing Ubuntu on a spare hard drive tomorrow, it's night here now.

Comment

Originally posted by joffe View Post
      I have the ASUS P6T Deluxe - I'll try installing Ubuntu on a spare hard drive tomorrow, it's night here now.
      I would be most appreciative! I found some encouraging tidbits on that Gigabyte board I was eyeing today...

The forums system has lived a long and wonderful life, but it was time to quietly shut them down and investigate other avenues of discussion.   The forums as

apparently it's better supported in Linux than it is in Windows. Your days may be numbered, XP..... I suppose I'll never have the priviledge of experiencing DirextX 10, but all of my retro and modern C&C games work in Wine so I think I can manage.

Comment

I'm posting from that machine now and it works. Unlike Windows Vista which required the bundled driver CD to function at all this works out of the box. Maybe there are some X58 drivers for Linux around as well.. I might poke a little.

Anything you want me to try to run?

Also, I just realised that in my infinite cleverness I installed the x86 version, given that my disc was originally made for my Pentium M laptop.. So the 6GB of RAM are actually 3, and I suppose general performance will suffer as well.
        Last edited by joffe; 03 December 2008, 11:33 AM.

Comment

I suppose general performance will suffer as well.
          Probably not so much unless you really do actively commit that much memory to applications.

Comment

I'm posting from that machine now and it works. Unlike Windows Vista which required the bundled driver CD to function at all this works out of the box. Maybe there are some X58 drivers for Linux around as well.. I might poke a little.

Also, I just realised that in my infinite cleverness I installed the x86 version, given that my disc was originally made for my Pentium M laptop.. So the 6GB of RAM are actually 3, and I suppose general performance will suffer as well.
            Well I was really just wanting to make sure ethernet was working and there were no "show-stopper" bugs. Thanks a lot! I suppose its down to that board and the Gigabyte. The Gigabyte one is STACKED. I mean just look at the panel and the pci slots... I was originally leaning toward the ASUS for it's eSATA, but I was absolutely tickled to find out that the GB comes with an expansion slot with two :P

Comment

If you are still at it, does sound work properly too?

With Pulseaudio, it might not work straight out though.

Comment

Originally posted by mahuyar View Post
                If you are still at it, does sound work properly too?

With Pulseaudio, it might not work straight out though.
                Oh I can just plug in the other drive, I installed it on a spare one so I wouldn't have to worry about partioning and stuff..

It plays that ongo bongo start up thingy at least (oh and NTFS-3G works just like that - not really relevant but I've never tried it before!) Yep, music plays fine as well. This, too, is better than the Windows out-of-the-box experience, as I had to install drivers from the bundled CD for that as well for the sound chip to work at all.

How people continue to recommend Windows and Mac over this for anything but games, baffles me..

It says 'alsamixer' here though - does Ubuntu 8.10 use pulseaudio?

Last edited by joffe; 04 December 2008, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Oh I can just plug in the other drive, I installed it on a spare one so I wouldn't have to worry about partioning and stuff..

It plays that ongo bongo start up thingy at least (oh and NTFS-3G works just like that - not really relevant but I've never tried it before!) Yep, music plays fine as well. This, too, is better than the Windows out-of-the-box experience, as I had to install drivers from the bundled CD for that as well for the sound chip to work at all.

How people continue to recommend Windows and Mac over this for anything but games, baffles me..

It says 'alsamixer' here though - does Ubuntu 8.10 use pulseaudio?

Lol what a mess....! (@ the CPU monitor) Hopefully they'll come up with some more colors! :P

Comment

He could change the colors for the CPU graph, but it's hardly worth the effort.

Nice to see 8 cpu's shown, though. On a desktop. Who'd a thunk it?

Comment

Wow that's nifty, I never noticed that. Apparently I've never moused over one of those boxes before.

Comment

Working...
                      X