Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA's Jetson TK1 Is Being EOL'ed Next Month

Phoronix: NVIDIA's Jetson TK1 Is Being EOL'ed Next Month

Easily one of our favorite ARM single-board computers ever, the Jetson TK1 from NVIDIA, will be facing retirement next month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's a bit sad.
    Maybe they could keep the TK1 as more 'budget' option?
    Considering the competition, it still looks like a capable board.

Comment

We retired 6 TK1's in December. The main factor for us was the lack of updates to L4T - specifically a release based on Ubuntu 16.04 rather than 14.04.

Comment

I've been using the TX2 as my "desktop PC" for the past year and it works brilliantly. The only issue is DRM doesn't work in browsers (so no Netflix or Amazon Prime) but for everything else, it's a great "PC". It's definitely completely usable as a daily driver, unlike most dev boards, and when you think of it in those terms, the 599 price tag is actually not too bad given the onboard GPU and the 8GB of RAM. What I really wish though is for Nvidia to allow for Linux installs on the Shield which uses the same chip for a third of the price.
        Last edited by vegabook; 21 March 2018, 10:44 AM.

Comment

As a Tegra K1 device, the Chromebook Acer CB5-311-T6R7 is interesting: 4 Gigabyte Ram, 1920x1080 display and ~10 hours battery runtime.
          Be careful, other models than the T6R7 have only 2 Gigabyte ram or a 1366x768 display.

I have one of those and linux mainline works mostly on it (using Archlinux ARM).
          Wifi is not completely great, when coming home when it was bluetooth tethered, it doesn't see any wlans but "rmmod mwifiex mwifiex_sdio; modprobe mwifiex; modprobe mwifiex_sdio" takes care of that.
          Suspend has worked in the past but currently it does not.

With the tegra support that recently landed in mesa it finally has working 3d acceleration.
          https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-Tegra-In-Mesa
          (it had worked in the past with experimental "renderonly" patches for mesa from Gnurou but it never made it to mainline).
          Unfortunately kde plasma is *not* stable on nouveau and causes kernel bugs. XFCE (with compositing) works fine.
          Last edited by haagch; 21 March 2018, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vegabook View Post
            I've been using the TX2 as my "desktop PC" for the past year and it works brilliantly. The only issue is DRM doesn't work in browsers (so no Netflix or Amazon Prime) but for everything else, it's a great "PC". It's definitely completely usable as a daily driver, unlike most dev boards, and when you think of it in those terms, the 599 price tag is actually quite cheap given the onboard GPU and the 8GB of RAM.
            I've used a TX1 (actually a Shield TV) off and on as a PC running Linux via micro-SD boot. It's pretty good.

Comment

Tegra K1 with Denver cores are very interesting for me. As far as I know these cores do in-order execution after some optimization passes through a proprietary layer - does this mean that they're not vulnerable to spectre? This, when built in a Chromebook, Coreboot make it very attractive. Sadly, availability is rather poor and I don't know how good mainline Linux support is and how feasible a Linux driven Chromebook with Tegra K1 Denver for daily tasks could be...

Comment

Originally posted by vegabook View Post
                it's a great "PC". It's definitely completely usable as a daily driver, unlike most dev boards, and when you think of it in those terms, the 599 price tag is actually quite cheap given the onboard GPU and the 8GB of RAM.
                No.

You can build a better NUC or SFF-based PC, for the money. The CPU will be faster and the iGPU is utterly comparable.

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
                  As a Tegra K1 device, the Chromebook Acer CB5-311-T6R7 is interesting: 4 Gigabyte Ram, 1920x1080 display and ~10 hours battery runtime.
                  You can get a new Lenovo Thinkpad 13 Chromebook with that amount of RAM & resolution for $330. Better yet, you can run a mainline distro and get working wifi and GPU drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Girolamo_Cavazzoni View Post
                    Tegra K1 with Denver cores are very interesting for me.
                    Very few Tegra K1-based devices ever used the Denver version. As far as Wikipedia knows, its use was limited to the HTC Nexus 9.

Comment

Working...
                    X