Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD's Atomic Patch, Latency Tolerance Reporting & Other PCI Changes For Linux 4.16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's Atomic Patch, Latency Tolerance Reporting & Other PCI Changes For Linux 4.16

Phoronix: AMD's Atomic Patch, Latency Tolerance Reporting & Other PCI Changes For Linux 4.16

The PCI subsystem updates for the Linux 4.16 kernel are a bit livelier than usual with a number of notable additions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Its probably more related to the mini PCIe ports, or PCIe x1 ports which don't really deliver large amounts of anything to the GPU. In those cases hotswap could be done, but a full PCIe port would probably be asking for trouble!

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      You can destroy your hardware if you have the computer on when connecting or removing components.
      See eGPUs attached via TB3 or GPU in dock of Surface Book. Hot GPU attach/detach is norm this days.

Comment

I hope these patches fix the annoying PCIe Bus errors I'm having (and I'm not the only one) on my Threadripper build. Errors that can be mitigated by disabling power management (pcie_aspm=off).

Comment

Beyond external GPUs i suspect hot swap could be used in compute centers with motherboards designed to suppport hot swap. Think racks of NVidia cards. But yeah dont do this at home.

Comment

You can destroy your hardware if you have the computer on when connecting or removing components. This is well documented in the motherboard and graphics card user manuals.
            ok, quote here relevant documentation for thunderbolt

Comment

"Fixed support for hot removal of graphics cards¨

You can destroy your hardware if you have the computer on when connecting or removing components. This is well documented in the motherboard and graphics card user manuals. I did broke a XFX RX460 by touching the grounding shield of the HDMI cable. I got an electric shock and broke the graphics rendering. I got money back and did buy a Gigabyte RX460 card. Then I sold the RX460 computer with 450 euros and build my current Ryzen 5 1600 and RX560 PC.
              I have silent computers, so much I mistakenly manage to plug in and unplug hardware while they're being on.
              Not saying it happens so often but maybe 3 times a year and never had a issue with damages.

Got this to say, DO NOT have power on a ryzen board while putting in cpu, it will auto power on.
              That in itself is not dangerous but I tell ya I was sure I bent pins when inserting a ryzen and it lighted up and I panicked pulled it and slipped.

I saved it and it still lives, haven't broken anything more than a sdram stick back in 1997 and I've had tons of hw throughout the years and despite my utter clumsyness nothing have gone bust

I'm absolutely amazed how robust hardware is.

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
              Its probably more related to the mini PCIe ports, or PCIe x1 ports which don't really deliver large amounts of anything to the GPU. In those cases hotswap could be done, but a full PCIe port would probably be asking for trouble!
              most os's don't even crash plugging things in, out have been of worse experience, that being PCI, PCI-E and so on.

Comment

You can destroy your hardware if you have the computer on when connecting or removing components. This is well documented in the motherboard and graphics card user manuals.
                You're talking about consumer hardware.

Comment

On desktop PC's, it's beyond me why would anyone want to hot swap hardware, just do it as you should (turn off all power from the wall socket/switch), it's not like someone will miss your PC for few minutes.

Comment

I don't think hot-swapping is for desktop PCs - you normally need special connectors with and/or power control logic in the mobo.

Adding some code to the kernel doesn't magically remove that requirement - AFAIK it just improves how the kernel handles it on hot-swap-capable hardware.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X