Intel Atom C3950 + Tyan Tempest S3227

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    It's still an Atom. Its single-core performance sucks ass, just like the previous gens.
    No, it's like you didn't even see the benchmarks. It's not quite as fast as the Xeon Silver (Skylake-SP), which has the same number of threads, but not too far off. If you normalize for clock speed, it might even pull a few more wins.

There is a reason it's still sold for server and industrial usage, and NOT for consumer usage anymore.
    More nonsense! They have a whole line of entry-level laptop SoCs that are built around the same Goldmont cores.

It's not the core which makes it unsuitable for consumer use - it's simply the featureset that's targeted towards a different set of applications.

Comment

That thing totally defies the point though. It does not have ECC and is just a quad?

It's FAR better to get a socketed Pentium/Celeron for that kind of market.
      If cost, power, and cooling are of no concern, sure.

Plenty of applications benefit from a decent GPU and don't require tons of compute. I'd agree that they should make a version supporting ECC, but does your home router have ECC? What about HTPC or games console?
      Last edited by coder; 03 February 2018, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Sweet little pocket-rocket. Shame about the lack of SATA ports. Obviously not targetting the storage market.
        Hi

Comment

Only storage servers and large database servers actually need more than a RAID1, and if the server is part of a large deployment of small units doing the exact same job, or a cluster, you can even go with a single disk (as a failure of a single unit
          Theoretically, (and you wouldnt unless built for purpose) you could forego the storage ports altogethor and simply PXE boot your servers. Seen that done on tsunami/tidal detection systems over a decade ago. Security and POS also come to mind.
          Hi

Comment

Question: Why does TYAN motherboards not sell in Amazon.com? I know it's not for consumers, but I do find the low-end TYAN motherboards impressive with embedded CPU as low as 9W. This could be very useful for a router setup where minimal power consumption is required since it'll sit idle most of the time running either pfSense or VyOS.

Comment

Tyan, why a Realtek NIC on a server board?

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post

Theoretically, (and you wouldnt unless built for purpose) you could forego the storage ports altogethor and simply PXE boot your servers. Seen that done on tsunami/tidal detection systems over a decade ago. Security and POS also come to mind.
                I don't see what's so theoretical, bunch of servers using a SAN is fairly standard industry practice? You can even have diskless NAS (i.e. front-end nodes, while SAN is storage back end)

On this Atom board you might install a (dual port) Fibre Channel adapter, or more Ethernet on the PCIe 8x slot.

Comment

Another question: How am I going to connect the display to my motherboard if there are no display ports? I know it's not meant to be used as a general-purpose computer, but I thought I might ask. Can a motherboard really function without a graphics card?

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                    No, it's like you didn't even see the benchmarks. It's not quite as fast as the Xeon Silver (Skylake-SP), which has the same number of threads, but not too far off. If you normalize for clock speed, it might even pull a few more wins.
                    Did your benchmarks feature single-thread perf? Because that's the main difference (and also what I pointed out in my post above), on multithread they are relatively close, although of course worse.

More nonsense! They have a whole line of entry-level laptop SoCs that are built around the same Goldmont cores.
                    Ah yes, I forgot about the shitty netbook segment.

It's not the core which makes it unsuitable for consumer use - it's simply the featureset that's targeted towards a different set of applications.
                    It's the low IPC that fucks them in the consumer market, plain and simple. On a PC you don't usually need more than a dualcore, but singlecore performance is still a strong requirement.

If cost, power, and cooling are of no concern, sure.
                    Yeah right. The boards aren't going to be designed like shit because it's a budget board and you won't totally end up with a board that burns like 20 watts on idle for no reason, while a socketed Pentium on a decent mini-itx idles at 10 or less watts. Sorry but I have experience in these kinds of things.

Also price isn't much more different, we are talking of 20-30$ of difference at best, and if you buy used or 1-2 gen older you get sweet deals too.

I'd agree that they should make a version supporting ECC, but does your home router have ECC? What about HTPC or games console?
                    My point was that you are taking a server board and then pulling up a low-end consumer board and try to draw parallels when the two products are very different and target different market segments. So yours is an apple vs bananas comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                      Another question: How am I going to connect the display to my motherboard if there are no display ports? I know it's not meant to be used as a general-purpose computer, but I thought I might ask. Can a motherboard really function without a graphics card?
                      Many server boards that lack an IPMI (remote management thingy) can be configured to output UEFI and stuff on a serial port, and on average they don't have silly checks that interrupt boot if they don't detect a GPU.

You only need a GPU for the initial setup, assuming it was not set up to use serial by default.

Comment

Working...
                      X