Wine 3.1 Released As The First Step Towards Wine 4.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SvenK View Post
    Any chances to see the Windows 10 Store on wine? The new AoE will only be released there, so it would be nice to have it on wine/Linux.
    My wild guess is: AoE will sell badly because of it.
    I certainly will make it my personal mission to never, ever buy anything from the Windows Store if they come up with such a move.
    So, either M$ will eventually back down, or AoE will be a fiasco...

Comment

Originally posted by UpsetingFact View Post
      Considering that Microsoft is insane enough to do the Betas-to-Manufacture scheme with Windows 10, it's pretty easy to say that it's the worst Windows ever released after Vista.

Telemetry and Privacy settings in Windows 10 are just bullshit since they'll always be forced back through updates. Heck, you're even using sideloaded software for that.
      Well Microsoft needs to fulfill the General Data Protection Regulation (Regulation (EU) 2016/679) from May 25 if they want to sell Windows in the European Union from this day on. This will set the minimum standards for privacy, with Data protection by Design and by Default this is very interesting.

Comment

Can one run Photoshop with GPU acceleration on Wine?

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

I certainly will make it my personal mission to never, ever buy anything from the Windows Store if they come up with such a move.
          The managers will be shocked how poorly RTS and PC games are selling and Microsoft will stop publishing PC games as a result.
          Because surely the awful distribution of AoE cannot be at fault there.

Comment

Ages of Empires might be fairly popular among normal people who don't game much, and normal people often run Windows 7 on their Core2Duo or their *bridge/*well laptop. So Win 10-only is a hurdle but I think Microsoft wants to win by attrition - eventually people will move to 10 when replacing dead hardware, such as HDDs going bad after ten years of service.

The store itself? People routinely use "evil" stores like Google Play, Steam, Xbox and Playstation.
            We would need a way to buy DRM-free software anonymously on the internet

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
              Ages of Empires might be fairly popular among normal people who don't game much, and normal people often run Windows 7 on their Core2Duo or their *bridge/*well laptop. So Win 10-only is a hurdle but I think Microsoft wants to win by attrition - eventually people will move to 10 when replacing dead hardware, such as HDDs going bad after ten years of service.

The store itself? People routinely use "evil" stores like Google Play, Steam, Xbox and Playstation.
              We would need a way to buy DRM-free software anonymously on the internet
              It's one thing for you to replace your PC because it's gotten obsolete.
              And it's another thing having to buy a new PC just because you need Windows 10 to play a game...
              Any PC running Windows 7 will get infinitely better by slapping an SSD on it. If it has a discrete GPU, chances are it's more than capable of running the new AoE.

The thing with the other 'evil' stores is this:
              • Consoles i do not own. Can you gues why?
              • On Android i can install stuff from other sources and buy from other sources, and my device from 2014 still can run anything new on the market.
              • As fo Steam, i can buy from other stores also, or firectly from the publishers (usually). Also, Steam does not come installed by default, i do not need to integrate it's login with my OS, i can remove it, i can opt not to launch it, i can run it on Linux

As for the M$ store? I made the mistake to create an M$ account because i wanted some app... it replaced my local Windows account without asking me for permission... had to format my pc to cleanse it's soul from M$ and swore that i'll never touch the store again, not even with a stick...

Comment

As for the M$ store? I made the mistake to create an M$ account because i wanted some app... it replaced my local Windows account without asking me for permission... had to format my pc to cleanse it's soul from M$ and swore that i'll never touch the store again, not even with a stick...
                Wait... what? That's terrible.

So to login to your Desktop session you'd have to use your online MS account? That would freak me out if that happened. I'd be wondering if it uploaded/synced my files with MS servers.

What happens if you have no internet connection? Can you still login to your desktop session?

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

Wait... what? That's terrible.

So to login to your Desktop session you'd have to use your online MS account? That would freak me out if that happened. I'd be wondering if it uploaded/synced my files with MS servers.

What happens if you have no internet connection? Can you still login to your desktop session?
                  Yes.
                  I think it works like an enterprise domain: the password gets cached after first login.

Comment

Working...
                  X