No announcement yet.

Wine 3.1 Released As The First Step Towards Wine 4.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Wine use Metal on MacOs for it's D3D12 support?

Comment

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post

I hope someone can bring the game to older versions of Windows (*cough* 7 *cough*) at least. Fuck winspy 10
      I whole heartedly share your sentiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Palu Macil View Post
        This seems like a pretty large release for being a point release. Common controls 6 is pretty big. Kerberos Authentication seems like it could be pretty massive for the places that might try to use wine as a serious shim to get away from Microsoft products.
        Point releases are pretty much where the big stuff happens for Wine these days

Comment

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post

I hope someone can bring the game to older versions of Windows (*cough* 7 *cough*) at least. Fuck winspy 10
          Believe it or not, MS has migrated allot of their spyware services and tricks to previous versions of windows, including Windows7. You've gotta be on the ball to NOT install them automatically, and only a moron would NOT update their windows software (otherwise you leave gaping security holes in your OS that are being exploited still to this very day).

Comment

This is an awesome release!
            It's very nice to see the Grand Theft Auto V support improved.
            Thank you very much WINE developers!

Comment

I'm super-hyped for Wine version 3.11 - Wine for Workgroups

Comment

Wine 3.1 is the first bi-weekly development snapshot towards what will eventually become the Wine 4.0 stable release by this time next year, given the project's shift to an annual release cadence.
                "Sigh", another "fast" versionning nonsense coming to anoher software...

How hard it is, to understand that if there's nothing big coming, next version should be 3.1 and not 4.0 ?

Thanks Google and your Chrome/Chromium nonsense !

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

Believe it or not, MS has migrated allot of their spyware services and tricks to previous versions of windows, including Windows7. You've gotta be on the ball to NOT install them automatically, and only a moron would NOT update their windows software (otherwise you leave gaping security holes in your OS that are being exploited still to this very day).
                There's still some guys who are willing to check every possible update to skip those shits. And I do.

So glad that Host-less Boot to VHD is a thing, same goes for VGA passthrough and this latter IS the future.

Besides, considering VM perofrmance nowadays, I can't understand why there's still no streamlined way to achieve that since this puts Wine's on the death row...

Comment

Originally posted by UpsetingFact View Post
                  There's still some guys who are willing to check every possible update to skip those shits. And I do.

So glad that Host-less Boot to VHD is a thing, same goes for VGA pass-through and this latter IS the future.

Besides, considering VM performance nowadays, I can't understand why there's still no streamlined way to achieve that since this puts Wine's on the death row...
                  Well considering Windows 10 has some notable advantages over 7 and 8, an easier option is just disabling all the telemetry and anti-privacy stuff in Windows 10. I use Spybot Anti-Beacon, DoNotSpy10, and WPD.

VGA pass-through is still using Windows just inside a VM. Furthermore it requires hand-picked custom desktop hardware to ensure it has the proper IOMMU support at the motherboard and BIOS level. Extremely few laptops appear to support it. So I think Wine is in a better position to support these newer games.

If you're going to use Windows to play games, might as well play them on bare-metal and instead use Linux as a guest VM. That's what I do anyway these days and with some special scripts I've spent quite some time working on, running and integrating host apps within the Linux VMware VM is easy. Plus the Linux guest side still has OpenGL 3.3 and Direct3D 9/10/11/12, OpenGL 4.6, Vulkan, etc. is of-course exposed to host apps.

Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 03 February 2018, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UpsetingFact View Post

"Sigh", another "fast" versionning nonsense coming to anoher software...

How hard it is, to understand that if there's nothing big coming, next version should be 3.1 and not 4.0 ?
                    Well that's good since the next version is already 3.1
                    X.Y builds are considered dev builds, while X.0 are considered stable ones.

Comment

And that's the problem.

Betas are always named like "X.Y. Beta 1/2/3/etc", not any other nonsense.

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post

Well considering Windows 10 has some notable advantages over 7 and 8, an easier option is just disabling all the telemetry and anti-privacy stuff in Windows 10. I use Spybot Anti-Beacon, DoNotSpy10, and WPD.

VGA pass-through is still using Windows just inside a VM. Furthermore it requires hand-picked custom desktop hardware to ensure it has the proper IOMMU support at the motherboard and BIOS level. Extremely few laptops appear to support it. So I think Wine is in a better position to support these newer games.

If you're going to use Windows to play games, might as well play them on bare-metal and instead use Linux as a guest VM. That's what I do anyway these days and with some special scripts I've spent quite some time working on, running and integrating host apps within the Linux VMware VM is easy. Plus the Linux guest side still has OpenGL 3.3 and Direct3D 9/10/11/12, OpenGL 4.6, Vulkan, etc. is of-course exposed to host apps.
                      Considering that Microsoft is insane enough to do the Betas-to-Manufacture scheme with Windows 10, it's pretty easy to say that it's the worst Windows ever released after Vista.

Telemetry and Privacy settings in Windows 10 are just bullshit since they'll always be forced back through updates. Heck, you're even using sideloaded software for that.

Then, every CPUs -even Celeron- and chipsets released since Skylake can do VT-d, desktop or mobile doesn't even matter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...eries_chipsets
                      And every AMD CPU since Phenom II are AMD-Vi capable.
                      Only bioses could block such features, but that's where user/bios manual kicks in to check that before buying.

Considering VGA passthrough performance and how shitty Windows 10 and NTFS are, nothing beats a Linux host.

Besides, VirtualBox would earn so much users if they managed to streamline VGA passthrough on GUI, and allowing disk booting before VMware does.
                      Heck, that's almost a decade now that VirtualBox does PCI-passthrough...

Comment

Working...
                      X