No announcement yet.

AMDGPU vs. Radeon DRM Driver Performance On Linux 4.15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even though I hardly have chips that are capable of both (Kabinis, everything else is deepest r600 or pure AMDGPU) this was very interesting to read. Thanks, Michael!
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by turboNOMAD View Post

You are correct, Arch packages kernels (and all other packages for that matter) exactly in the same configuration as they come from upstream.
      This is exactly why I'm asking here, knowing that AMD/Mesa/Xorg developers frequently visit this forum.
      And that's exactly how it should be in my opinion, if someone needs different configuration he should compile it, plus calling something "stable" or "unstable" independent of how it's named in upstream is confusing and bad idea in geneal.

Comment

Kinda funny - when I try running radeonsi on my 290, everything runs flawlessly. When I try to run amdgpu, the computer isn't frozen but my display is. When Michael runs radeonsi, performance is regressed, but when he runs amdgpu everything improves.

Comment

While I happy with performance of Vega 64 that I going to gift (as part of PC with Ryzen 1800X) I think some older cards should be fixed: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=91880#c177

I just don't get how GRENADA cards still not fixed for two years.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Kinda funny - when I try running radeonsi on my 290, everything runs flawlessly. When I try to run amdgpu, the computer isn't frozen but my display is. When Michael runs radeonsi, performance is regressed, but when he runs amdgpu everything improves.
            Just checking, you mean "radeon" (the kernel driver) rather than "radeonsi" (the Gallium3D driver) ?
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by turboNOMAD View Post
              I have an R9 290 which I use both for Native and Wine gaming. Does not seem to be regressed, although I use Arch Linux + mesa-git + llvm-svn.

Any chance of AMDGPU getting declared "stable" for GCN 1.1 in the near future? I'm still using radeon, didn't bother to mess with kernel parameters.
              My R9 290 has been fine too for some time. And even in the past the only regression issues I faced were on radeon drm.

Also I agree not having the new kernel driver as the default is a major issue. Because that means no Vulkan..

Comment

Thank you for this test Michael!

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                  My R9 290 has been fine too for some time. And even in the past the only regression issues I faced were on radeon drm.

Also I agree not having the new kernel driver as the default is a major issue. Because that means no Vulkan..
                  Until DC is ready to be enabled by default we can't switch from radeon to amdgpu as default because users would lose functionality. As of 4.15 the DC code is at least upstream, so that process can now start. IIRC this is the point where Mr Cooper usually reminds me there is another activity that also has to happen before we can switch defaults... don't remember what it is or current state but will try to dig it up over the holidays.
                  Test signature

Comment

Working...
                  X