No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 387.34 vs. Linux 4.15 + Mesa 17.4-dev Radeon OpenGL/Vulkan Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 387.34 vs. Linux 4.15 + Mesa 17.4-dev Radeon OpenGL/Vulkan Performance

Phoronix: NVIDIA 387.34 vs. Linux 4.15 + Mesa 17.4-dev Radeon OpenGL/Vulkan Performance

For your viewing pleasure this weekend are some fresh benchmarks of the very latest NVIDIA and Radeon Linux graphics drivers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

These test are a bit pointless i guess.

Especially on Feral games , there is a known regression in Nvidia drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post
      Especially on Feral games , there is a known regression in Nvidia drivers.
      Actually with the GTX 1070 and newer, I haven't been able to reproduce the regression in any meaningful manner while with the GTX 1060 was only affected by a few frames.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Actually with the GTX 1070 and newer, I haven't been able to reproduce the regression in any meaningful manner while with the GTX 1060 was only affected by a few frames.
        So that regression is mostly affects 4 gb or less VRAM'ed gpu's i guess.

Thanks for info Michael.

Comment

Michael When you have a benchmarking article could you please include the test command line so we can easily try it on our own hardware or let us know where we can look it up because I can't seem to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by vsteel View Post
            Michael When you have a benchmarking article could you please include the test command line so we can easily try it on our own hardware or let us know where we can look it up because I can't seem to find it.
            On any of the graphs in the articles you can click on the OpenBenchmarking.org logo in the bottom left corner of the article to get the Openbenchmarking.org URL, from there it's easy to plop in that ID to PTS.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

On any of the graphs in the articles you can click on the OpenBenchmarking.org logo in the bottom left corner of the article to get the Openbenchmarking.org URL, from there it's easy to plop in that ID to PTS.
              Yeah, but you have to know this. Just put the command somewhere in the Text too. This might boost pts popularity

Comment

In February it will two years since the vulkan spec was made public, but we are still playing catch up performance wise for AMD.

We need a performant Vulkan driver for AMD on Linux like we have on windows... Be that RadV or AMD's own driver.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow
                  Finally!!!
                  Are you being paid to find every single spelling error in every single Phoronix article? Or you have no other things to do?

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                  We need a performant Vulkan driver for AMD on Linux like we have on windows... Be that RadV or AMD's own driver.
                  First we need proper native Vulkan games on Linux, which there are basically none at the moment.

I wonder what you need the "performant" Vulkan driver for so badly when there are basically no native Vulkan games available on Linux?

There are just Direct3D to Vulkan ports available basically which obviously perform worse.

Comment

Originally posted by pq1930562 View Post

Are you being paid to find every single spelling error in every single Phoronix article? Or you have no other things to do?

First we need proper native Vulkan games on Linux, which there are basically none at the moment.

I wonder what you need the "performant" Vulkan driver for so badly when there are basically no native Vulkan games available on Linux?

There are just Direct3D to Vulkan ports available basically which obviously perform worse.
                    Agreed. We need Doom 2016 and Wolfenstein 2 like native Vulkan games. In current situation OpenGL performance work is more important because we are mostly good on getting ports of Unity and Unreal Engine based games which there are no games using Vulkan on them.

About native Vulkan , we're dependent on older Windows versions like Windows 7. If they keep holding such major market share like now they are , eventually there will be Vulkan native games for running with them.

I prefer native games but at least with that way , we can get native performance via Wine like situation with Doom.

Comment

Working...
                    X