Passively Cooling A Radeon RX 480 Polaris GPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
    Very interesting article however RX 480 consume so much (RX 470 will be better in this area)

If you can test with GTX 1060 will be good because pascal is much better in tdp

Only if/when my GTX 1060 cooler dies would I mess around with it as the reference cooler works well.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Holy crap, I've got an S3 (with the optional fan unit) on my HD3450 from ten years ago, I can't believe they're still making it and it's compatible with everything!

Comment

Fascinating, Michael. I'm running a six year old Shuttle mini-pc as my main workstation. (i5 2600K). I like the setup quite a bit, but passive graphics cooling wouldn't work in this case, even if the radiator would fit. Shuttle's CPU cooler consists of a heat-pipe running to a radiator which abuts a vent at the back of the case, where a 92mm fan exhausts inside air out through the radiator. It's pretty slick, but I wouldn't count on it cooling much more than memory and disk drives in addition to the CPU.

There's space for a full-length graphics card provided it's dimensions strictly adhere to the VGA spec. I'm using a dual-slot eVGA 960-GTX, which fits perfectly and whose fans exhaust the GPU heat out through the back, as is normal and works perfectly.

I replaced the main 92mm CPU/case fan once. If the GPU fans fail, I'll just have to replace them as well. They are quiet enough, and there's neither room nor airflow for anything else.

Comment

Michael, can you take a sharp object to the 'copper' pipes? I've come cross numerous claimants of copper pipes and bases andmost seemed to just be covered in what I can best describe as 'copper coloured shrink-wrap'.

Usually the give away (if you're not up on just how expensive copper has been in recent years which would make you think twice about the copper claims) was the ends, which look like aluminium.

Generally, the best of the cheapest methods for air/passive cooling was a copper base as it TRANSFERS heat well, and aluminium for the fins as is DISSIPATES. A good cheap combo, and a decent old school machin hop could probably actuallymake you a good set up by simply drilling a copper coined sized groove big enough to cover the heat spreader/core in to an aluminium block with fins shaved up from that block.

Also, a cheap floor fan cut in to the side of your destop case is pretty sweet for airflow. I know this article is meant for server, but if any of you live in a region the regularly tops 40+, you do what you gotta do!

And Mick, can you shave the plastic frame bordering those fins?

Personally, I always enjoyed the idea of passive cooling but actually always ended up putting a fan anywhere in size from 30mm to 80mm (moved around to make sure the fins over the core as the fans generally have a dead spot on passive cooling below the middle/bearings) with an impedence widget in between to slow the RPMs down.
          Hi

Comment

Ideally a server design would be good matural progression in desktop PCs. Everything aligned front to back to let the fans do their job (preferably without the noise of course) or in the case of passive, bottom, where its cooler, to top, a la natural convection et cetera.

BTX2, but with standard parts, and a little forethought in form to go with the function.
            Hi

Comment

You should add some tests of actual games to see how the thermal throttling impacts performance.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post
                You mean Kelvin, right?
                Real scientists use the Planck energy.

Comment

After reading a title I was like "LOL passive RX 480", however those are good results, especially for that price. If you have some copper and aluminium (and tools and free time ofc.) you can make custom passive heatsink no problem .

Comment

I'm not impressed by how it throttles under load, until I consider that it was only $30. The way I figure things, if they made a $50 or $60 version, they could probably juuuuuuuust scrape by on the RX 480/580.

Comment

Hmm. Backplate is a heatsink, but it is not used for heatsinking. O_o

Comment

Working...
                      X