Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passively Cooling A Radeon RX 480 Polaris GPU

Phoronix: Passively Cooling A Radeon RX 480 Polaris GPU

This past week the fan on my reference Radeon RX 480 graphics card surprisingly died. It's been a number of years since I last had a fan go out on a graphics card heatsink with much better reliability these days, especially with the reference graphics cards. When deciding what cooling solution to use for this RX 480 Polaris card, I decided to try a budget passively-cooled solution.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder whether the fan just died on boot, or it was running and died...

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    RX 480/590 models,
    Also, why didn't you use Celsius for the Seek Thermal pictures? (especially when thermal sensors are Celsius-native)

Comment

Overall, the Arctic Cooling Accelero S3 did a decent job passively cooling this Radeon RX 480 graphics card.
      That's pretty neat.

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Also, why didn't you use Celsius for the Seek Thermal pictures? (especially when thermal sensors are Celsius-native)
      Because he lives and works in a country where Farenheit is the standard ?
      Last edited by bridgman; 02 December 2017, 01:22 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        I wonder whether the fan just died on boot, or it was running and died...

Because Seek Thermal had defaulted to F and I hadn't bothered changing it.

Not sure when it died, I only realized it died when wondering why my system was getting reset and ultimately lost the display boot, only to look in the case and notice the fan was couldn't spin up.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I prefer to use a smaller passive heatsink and find a way to attach my own 120mm fan of choice (rewired to 5V). It's still very quiet and moving a little bit of air over the heatsink makes a significant difference in temps.

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          *shrug* I live in the same country and have always used Celsius for computer temps. Maybe we should remove all ambiguity and use Kelvins.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            it is not the standard even in that country. scientists use real units everywhere.

Comment

So is this going to be your 480 in all benchmarks from now on? Might not give comparable results to a stock 480.

Comment

I usually just shrug off stories involving ounces, fahrenheits, catties, miles, dinklewots and the like where better logical global standards exist, but I just love a success story about DIY passive cooling.

Phoronix, always going the extra furlong for its diverse global readership... (yes, cool)

Comment

Want to do something similar to my Nitro+ RX480. One of the fans has already developed bearing noises (and it's less than a year old). I know I could request another fan from Sapphire, but I have had bad experiences with RMA services to Mexico from foreign companies. I was looking at the Accelero coolers too (have used them in the past), but I just know those backplates will hit my NH-D15. I could just not use it, but then how do I cool the VRM? I may just end up strapping a fan to the stock cooling block with zipties.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    it is not the standard even in that country.
                    False. The U.S. uses Fahrenheit as its official temperature unit.

Comment

Working...
                    X