Use GTX750Ti, or buy RX460/580/?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use GTX750Ti, or buy RX460/580/?

I've finally put my foot down adn bought a new PC after ten years. Going from a Q6600 to a 1700 is going to be a mind trip.

But now to think about graphics cards. My current rig has a hand-me-down GTX 750 Ti that I got for free to replace my HD3000-something. I know the 750Ti is kinda-sorta supported by Nouveau, but I don't think reclocking is sorted yet? I'm planning to at least try to exclusively use Linux on this new beast, but I may end up having to use Windows in either dual boot or Virtualbox. One day if I'm adventurous I'd like to try watercooling too.

Should I:
    a. try using the 750Ti?
    b. buy an RX580 for AU$399? https://www.umart.com.au/Gigabyte-AO...rd_38803G.html
    c. save up, drain my account and get Vega or something? https://www.umart.com.au/AMD_C.html?...4116-44791.0.0

Rest of the new system:
    Ryzen 1700
    GA-AX370-Gaming 5
    2x8GB FlareX 3200MHz
    1TB Intel 6000P m.2
    EVGA 650W G3 (I may need to upgrade this depending on the above answer, I'm picking this gear up tomorrow)
    Fractal Define R5

Basically the binary Nvidia driver is usally very simple to use with any distribution - even older ones. If you are already happy with nouveau you don't seem to play many Linux games. If you like to use the newest Linux distributions or even a rolling release together with fully open source stack then you should go for AMD gfx cards. I would not buy old hardware for full price - the reason why the RX 580 is so expensive is mining. If you need a Vega card or not depends on your games/screen res. But as gfx cards are easy to replace you can buy it later...

Comment

Sadly, buying a video card these days is painful. Personally, I would not get a RX580. Power draw is just ridiculous considering the overall performance you get out of those things, even so when you compare them to the older RX480. RX570 should be fine if you can manage to find one at reasonable price. In my opinion, I don't think that card is worth more than $200USD, so unless you can find one at around that price point don't bother. RX560 is actually a decent card and some places have them for reasonable prices, so if you want to go AMD that would be a good card. Unfortunately, it gets outclassed by its direct competitor from the green team.
      That G3 is more than enough for even a RX580 and the rest of the system. If you do decide to go with Vega you may want to upgrade.

Comment

Working...
      X