Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDMI 2.1 Specification Brings 4K@120Hz / 8K@60Hz

Phoronix: HDMI 2.1 Specification Brings 4K@120Hz / 8K@60Hz

The HDMI Forum has announced HDMI 2.1 as the latest version of their high definition audio/video interface...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ugh, I wish DisplayPort could just kill HDMI

Comment

Originally posted by KellyClowers View Post
      It seems to be doing just that in the computing world. Most new video cards have multiple DP connectors.

However, the consumer electronics ecosystem has standardized on HDMI. I've never even seen a bluray player or set top box with a DP connector. It's all HDMI in the living room.

Comment

As torsionbar28 said, consumer electronics use HDMI as de-facto standard, I use to think the opposite of you, "I wish HDMI could just kill DisplayPort" as I was on the other side, dealing only with electronics with HDMI.

As I upgraded my desktop, I started to think like you, why HDMI?

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
          It seems to be doing just that in the computing world. Most new video cards have multiple DP connectors.
          and most laptop screens are using eDP (embedded displayport) instead of random non-standard crap ribbon connections.

Comment

...And here I am - with 3x Monitors. One (23") is broken and the two I use is a 19" CRT from 1999 at 1280x1024 resolution (the one I use to write this on) and a 23" LCD at 1600x1200. No 4k/8k here and I am perfectly happy with it!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

DisplayPort needs to hire Chuck Norris!...

Comment

I wish Displayport could kill DVI-d far more than HDMI. That's what, space for 2 friggin phyisical ports wasted with obsolete crap I can use a 20$ adapter for?

Comment

Too late, we want 20K@200Hz...

Comment

So I just realized, but shouldn't the name "HDMI" be obsolete now anyway? These specs are way beyond "high definition". Seem to me it should be renamed to UHDMI (or maybe just UDMI).

Comment

Working...
                    X