Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPU suggestion for UHD 4K60p

Hi all,

I run Arch Linux on my PC and I have a Dell P2715Q monitor.

Until a couple of weeks ago I used a GTX 660 to drive my monitor via a DisplayPort cable. I always had screen tearing and generally a not so smooth experience with YouTube or DE in general. I used the proprietary Nvidia drivers with Xorg. Nouveau gave me problems a year or so ago, so I stopped using it. Should I maybe give it a try again today?

My CPU is an Intel i7-4790K and my motherboard's DisplayPort support UHD video output, so now I removed the Nvidia video card and drive my monitor with the integrated GPU. The experience is a little bit better than with Nvidia GPU and proprietary drivers, but still not smooth as when I run other OSes (non Linux I mean) on my PC. I am assuming the Intel HD 4600 integrated GPU is not powerful enough for 4K60p.

I don't play video games, I work a lot with text and I play HD (1920x1080) and UHD (3840x2160) videos I record with my action camera and I do some photo editing.

I'd like to drive my monitor in 30-bit color mode (10 bpc). I'd like my GPU to be as silent as possible and just powerful enough for my DE and video playback (H.264, H.265, vp8, vp9, vc1 codecs mainly).
    From my reading on this forum and googling a bit, it seems like an AMD RX 560 with open source drivers could be just what I am looking for.

Can you confirm that? Can someone suggest me a GPU to drive my monitor at 4K60p without tearing or stuttering?

I'm also looking for the same advice. I have a Dell laptop with a i7-8550U CPU with a Intel 620 integrated card and it seems to work nicely, but for my desktop I will need a new card.
    I was wondering if the RX 560 would be enough, since the RX 580 costs twice more.

Comment

Working...
    X